Need help deciding on education and career path

the noof

Commendable
Dec 1, 2016
I am considering going back to college and getting a bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Information Technology. I have an associate’s degree in Liberal Arts. I have taken Calc I and Calc II. I got B’s in those classes, but that was 20 years ago, so I don’t remember any of it. I’m not very sure what type of work I would be doing with either degree. I am currently an Electronic Technician. I like troubleshooting and problem solving. Need help deciding which degree to pursue.

Thanks

Solution

Best way to go about this is to get some idea of what new ob you want to do and then use that to determine what kind of additional training you need, if any. College is MUCH more expensive today than it was 20 years ago, to the...

Best way to go about this is to get some idea of what new ob you want to do and then use that to determine what kind of additional training you need, if any. College is MUCH more expensive today than it was 20 years ago, to the point where you will just waste a large amount of money and time with no benefit unless you have a good plan for what to do in college and why you are doing it. Unfortunately the old days of "go to college, get a degree in a science field, and you will get a good job and get paid well" ended shortly after the tech bubble popped in 2000-2001. That is also when college costs started to skyrocket as well.

The next step after you you decide what job you want to do and what training it requires would be to talk to a college advisor in your intended department of study about your situation. They will give you a reasonable idea of what classes you need to take with you having taken some in the distant past.

Solution