Internet cuts out intermittently while using Windows

caleballison

Commendable
Dec 1, 2016
Hi there,

So this weird thing happens when I use Windows machines at my house. I'll be browsing a site. I'll open a link in a new tab and suddenly that link won't open, saying internet connection is not available. In that tab, I try going to any other website, and the same thing happens. BUT, I am still able to browse the site in the first tab, but only as long as it stays open. If I exit the window, then try to reopen that site in a new window or tab, it won't work, saying internet connection is not available. It gets weirder: if I'm downloading something like a Steam game, the download still works while all of this is happening, so the internet connection is still there. It just cuts out in the browser.

I'm using a NetComm NF4V router.

The only fix I've found is to restart my router. Works every time (restarting the computer does not solve the problem). Sometimes it cuts out again after 10 minutes, so I just restart the router again and it works. Sometimes I'll get hours out of it til the problem happens again.

This problem happened with my old Windows 7 laptop, and now with a brand new PC I've built with a clean install of Windows 10. The problem DOES NOT happen on any other devices we have, including Mac laptops, iPads, Playstation, or Android phones. I didn't use a Windows computer for about a year and the problem never happened on any other device.

I have tried going into the command prompt and and resetting the resetlog.txt file, and and clearing the DNS cache. Didn't work.

I hope I've explained the problem coherently. Any ideas would be much appreciated! Thank you.

Caleb

Solution
Hello caleballison

Can you please confirm if your PC is assigned with a static IP address, or it receives one from the router? Sometimes, assigning static IP address helps.

If the above suggestion doesn't work, and because your Internet connection works well after you restart your router, I was thinking if you'd mind resetting the router to its default settings and check if this fixes the issue permanently?

Feel free to report back if further assistance is needed.

Cheers!! :)
Hello caleballison

Can you please confirm if your PC is assigned with a static IP address, or it receives one from the router? Sometimes, assigning static IP address helps.

If the above suggestion doesn't work, and because your Internet connection works well after you restart your router, I was thinking if you'd mind resetting the router to its default settings and check if this fixes the issue permanently?

Feel free to report back if further assistance is needed.

Cheers!! :)

Solution