Second monitor causes in-game stuttering

Marcus97

Reputable
May 26, 2014
Hey guys, so I have ran a little test and found something odd.

When I turn off my second monitor (running at 1080p 60hz), and then I open say GTA V on my primary monitor (1080p 144hz) the gameplay is buttery smooth. But, if I then have my second monitor running, even with nothing actually happening on it, no applications, nothing the game then becomes stuttery on the main monitor.

I can only guess this has something to do with both monitors having a different refresh rate?

If you guys know anymore about this/ have experience with this issue I would appreciate your input, thanks.

Solution
ahhhh... makes more sense now. Generally, Youtube videos play at around 23 frames per second or so unless otherwise stated. That will crush your refresh rate for sure and introduce a very annoying stutter in games on the other monitor.

To oversimplify it, motion pictures and movies including bluray movies can get away with 23-24 frames per second. This is "gamebreaking" in a game though. =)

You mentioned in original post that nothing else was on the screen.
Historically, the GPU will output one refresh rate. It can be a variable or adaptive refresh rate such as FreeSync or GSync, it can be a vertically synced refresh rate, locking to your GPU to your monitor's designed vertical refresh(V-Sync) or it can just be whatever your rig is capable of outputting up to the limitation of the slowest monitor refresh rate connected to the GPU. In any case even if yours was only outputting 60Hz to your 144Hz monitor, it shouldn't appear "stuttery".

Anything else you can add?

What mode is the other monitor in? Extended Desktop?

Marcus97

Reputable
May 26, 2014

Hi, thanks for the reply. Yes, the displays are in extended desktop mode. I don't really have much other information to provide to be honest, other than what I have already said.

I have tried driver reinstallations, swapping out the input cables for both monitors, and even connecting the second monitor to the integrated GPU on the motherboard, but to no avail.

You get the stuttering even when the 60Hz monitor is connected to the motherboard's integrated graphics(and only when it is powered ON? If so... does the stutter go away when you leave the monitor power ON and unplug the video signal?

Marcus97

Reputable
May 26, 2014

Yes, if I unplug the video signal the stuttering does go away. When I had the second monitor connected to the integrated GPU, if I had nothing on the second monitor, and i was playing a game on my primary monitor at the same time it would actually be very smooth. But, then if i opened a video on the second monitor, the GPU usage in game would drop dramatically, to about 20/ 30%, along with the FPS, and would only pickup again If I stopped the video.

ahhhh... makes more sense now. Generally, Youtube videos play at around 23 frames per second or so unless otherwise stated. That will crush your refresh rate for sure and introduce a very annoying stutter in games on the other monitor.

To oversimplify it, motion pictures and movies including bluray movies can get away with 23-24 frames per second. This is "gamebreaking" in a game though. =)

You mentioned in original post that nothing else was on the screen.

Solution