Cannot play any games on steam due to crashing monitor.

Ferrin

Commendable
Jun 10, 2016
So this has been happening recently.3 days in fact .I launch a game on steam. I go in game. In 5 seconds, i see a cluster of pink and green pixels, then my monitor goes black with "No signal" displaying on it.PC is still running but there is no display or sound. I ran tests for my RAM, CPU, even PSU Voltages.Unplugged and plugged everything back in .Everything is fine. And it only crashes when i play games on steam, everywhere else is fine.
CPU is fx 8350, GPU is MSI r9 290. Temps are perfectly fine, in fact they dont have time to get too hot up because the game just started before it crashes. I can be playing a game not on steam or surfing the web for hours, but the minute i got in game on steam, i get a crash and have to hold down the power button for it to turn off. Ive already restarted my PC this way at least 8 times in the last 2 days and it cant be good for my components. Everytime i think its fixed, it crashes and im screwed. Should i take it into a shop to get it fixed?

genthug

Honorable
Oh boy, I'm sorry I took so long to get back to this. Last week has been busy. If you haven't done so already, I'd take it in to get looked at. If it's not overclocked and not overheating, then there seems to be something wrong with your GPU. The only thing I might try would be to underclock your GPU and see if that fixes it. If you're artifacting before you hard crash, that points to an issue in your GPU core (if it's at stock, at least, which yours is). I might take MSI Afterburner and bump down your core and memory clocks a couple hundred MHz and see if it still occurs, and if there's a break point for where it does or doesn't.

Ferrin

Commendable
Jun 10, 2016

Couldn't it also be a faulty PCIE slot? I would switch it my other slot but it then covers my USB so i cant really stick it in there. The weird thing before my crash is that my GPU is almost not even on load because the game or benchmark JUST starts and it hard crashes. And it seems to be only steam games while my GPU can hit max temps and max load playing Overwatch or other games and no crash. I really should send it it but since it will take at least a week to fix and i have an AMD cpu it means no computer. Eh.