More fps from a new mouse?

L3wis

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2015
Ok so I know the title sounds odd but yesterday I got a new mouse and keyboard. And when playing I saw a very noticeable difference in the smoothness of my gameplay. That was everything was a lot more fluid than normal which is great but it got me thinking all I have done is change my mouse and keyboard. I haven't got a new graphics card or changed any video setting which could alter my fps and make things smoother. It wasn't just when I was moving around my character either cut scenes are also a lot smoother. This seems strange as I wouldn't think a mouse would alter the fps which is what I'm guessing has happened I haven't looked at actual fps numbers yet but will be putting a counter on to see if there is a difference would a new mouse make things seem more fluid but not actually change the fps I'm guessing this could be the case but it's cuscenes as well as gameplay? Don't know if I need this but the mouse I changed was from the corsair octane bundle to the g900 and k70 keyboard. I will post fps numbers later once I have tried both mice/keyboard. Thanks for reading:)

Solution
Maybe your mouse is using a higher polling rate and it's just your input that is smoother without having more fps.
Basically all gaming mice (and even some keyboards) are able to use more than the default 125 Hz USB polling rate. (a maximum of 500 and 1000 MHz is pretty common)

ihog

Distinguished
Cutscenes are not always pre-rendered. They can also be rendered in real time, which means it's basically the same as playing.

Please run a gaming benchmark with the old mouse/keyboard and then again with the new mouse/keyboard, record the results, and report back, and I'll be glad to help! Cheers.

Maybe your mouse is using a higher polling rate and it's just your input that is smoother without having more fps.
Basically all gaming mice (and even some keyboards) are able to use more than the default 125 Hz USB polling rate. (a maximum of 500 and 1000 MHz is pretty common)

Solution

L3wis

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2015

Thanks for the reply only just got the notification. The framerate hasn't changed as I wasn't expecting it to. I tried using the old keyboard and mouse again and it was no where near as smooth so your answer sounds about right thanks. (sorry for the long time replying)