ADVICE NEEDED - System Config Advice 3 PC's Multi-Purpose

kalvinnohobbes

Commendable
Dec 2, 2016
Hello Everyone,

Going round and round on which would be the best way to allocate my PC's to maximize the usage out of them. I have several needs and the amount of options are basically freezing my thought process at the moment. This post might get long as I explain my situation so apologies but appreciate the help. Currently I run everything from my main desktop and security and reliability are of concern. I run a multiple user PLEX that has 1-2 home users and 3-4 over internet users at times. At most I see 3-4 streams running at once but that is not very frequent, usually 1-2 home or internet users at a time.

My 3 rigs are (in order of newness):

Desktop 1
AMD FX-8300 @ 3.3ghz (Planning to OC sometime in future)
MSI 970 Gaming Mobo
16 gb DDR3 @ 933mhz - up-able to 32gb
GTX 750ti 2gb dual dvi
Sata 3 support - 6 ports
USB 2.0 and 3.0
single gbit network port

desktop 2
Intel core i5 750 @2.67ghz (Also planning to OC to between 3.2 and 3.5 in near future)
EVGA P55 SLI
12 gb DDR3 @ 667mhz - up-able to 16gb
Geforce 9500gt 1gb dual dvi
Sata 2 Support - 6 ports
dual gbit nic's

desktop 3 - OLD Intel P4 3ghz or 3.5ghz with HT
2gb SDRAM ram max
sata support (not sure which version) 2 ports
100mb nic
onboard GPU
Onboard USB 2.0
PCIe USB 3.0

I didn't list HDD for any machine because they are interchangeable but I have 3 SSD's 120gb, 4 Sata 3 2TB's, And a few other Sata 2 drives ranging from 300gb to 1.5gb.

Plan is to hook them all up to my Belkin SOHO DVI KVM 4 port

I need a physical desktop for everyday use and it has to be desktop 1 or 2 because I do resource extensive tasks at times, not often but frequent enough to need the horsepower on-demand.

I need to run the following between the 3 pc's:

Plex - 2 servers (with transcoding of 4-8gb mkv's) on separate hardware, one home network use only the other internet facing only.
Network Storage - for media library, data shares, on system backups, etc
FTP server
Linux (most likely Ubuntu or CentOS) - no real-world use (not a dig just my usage) , just enjoy having a Linux box.
Windows 10 - Physical machine
Windows 10 - VM
Windows 7 - VM

I am sure I will have other uses down the road but the above are my main concerns right now.
Since I have more needs than PC's the thought was to run ESXi 6.0 from either the AMD or i5 desktops with maybe 2-4 VM's running at any one time. If I put ESXi on the AMD and mostly only run Windows Server (Plex internet use only, file shares, etc) and a Windows 10 VM (downloading over VPN, software testing) am I wasting my more powerful resources? I would then put Windows 10 on the i5 to for everyday use and Plex home use only. Desktop 3 would become a Linux pc for me to goof around with and maybe make my ftp server (3+ gb files so not sure if it can handle it good enough).

Just looking for some advice that will give me the most out of this hardware. Thanks

I'd drop ESXi on the i5 box. It should be able to run a Plex server, a Linux VM and a Windows VM even, all at the same time. I might run the Windows VMs on you desktop though. I wouldn't bother with the P4 box, it guzzles power and isn't likely useful for your purposes.