How to change primary/boot drive for Windows 10, OS is installed on both HDD and SSD?

Novenari

Commendable
Dec 2, 2016
I cloned my OS (Windows 10, and by OS I mean the whole partition) to an SSD I installed into my new laptop that I got during Black Friday sales. Now, I cannot format the old HDD that Windows was installed on because it's in use. Also the bios is confusing me and I can't seem to find a way to choosethe SSD as my primary boot option. Basically I'm stuck and hope I can still avoid re-installing Windows as I feel there should be some easy solution for this, but I can't find one.

The laptop is an Asus brand one.

Solution
Welcome to Tom's Hardware, @Novenari!

You need to check the advanced settings in your BIOS interface. Make sure you see the boot order and swap the places of the SSD and the HDD to see if you will be able to boot properly. You can also refer to the laptop's manual if you cannot find the boot order options in the menu. In order to check if the cloning procedure was successfully, put the SSD in the primary HDD slot and attempt to boot from it without the HDD connected. If it boots properly and you have successfully changed the boot order settings, you shouldn't face any issues by putting the HDD back in the secondary slot and then re-format it through Disk management to get rid of the old OS installation. If you have...
Welcome to Tom's Hardware, @Novenari!

You need to check the advanced settings in your BIOS interface. Make sure you see the boot order and swap the places of the SSD and the HDD to see if you will be able to boot properly. You can also refer to the laptop's manual if you cannot find the boot order options in the menu. In order to check if the cloning procedure was successfully, put the SSD in the primary HDD slot and attempt to boot from it without the HDD connected. If it boots properly and you have successfully changed the boot order settings, you shouldn't face any issues by putting the HDD back in the secondary slot and then re-format it through Disk management to get rid of the old OS installation. If you have important data, make sure you back it up somewhere off-site before you tamper with your laptop's storage configuration. This is how you will prevent any potential data loss.

Let me know if you have more questions! Hope this helps you.
SuperSoph_WD

Solution