Prebuilt PC Windows Installation reusable after CPU and Mobo upgrade ?

Fapi

Commendable
Aug 19, 2016
So I know there were some people before me asking that but I never got a really useful answer to the problem I´m probably about to deal with.

I purchased a prebuilt Computer in 2012 and since then upgraded the GPU to a inno3d GTX 970, the PSU to a Be quiet! 530W and the RAM to GSkill Trident 16GB DDR3. I never changed the Mainboard so I am still using the ancient MEDIONPC MS-7728 with an intel core i5 2320 for modern gaming which works surprisingly well. I use a 2TB Seagate HDD with Windows on it.

So now I want to upgrade my Mobo to a ASRock H170-X1 and the CPU to a i5 6500. With that, I also have to get new RAM, which is going to be the Corsair CMK8GX4M2A2133C13 Vengeance LPX 8GB (2x4GB) DDR4 2133Mhz CL13 XMP 2.0.

I´ve read on here that there are problems with a transfer of an old HDD to a new Mobo and CPU concerning Windows. People are mentioning that I have to buy a new license of Windows in order to be able to run Windows again on the new CPU and Mobo. Is that actually true ? Because I upgraded a prebuilt PC I dont have a Windows Installing CD so I now want to know the following 2 more things:

Is it possible to create a CD that can Install Windows again in case I (for some reason) have to wipe my old HDD ?

And, do I really need a new copy of Windows or can I just extract the Windows-Key of my current Version of Windows with JellyBeans Keyfinder and re-enter it upon reinstallation (if needed) ?

I have quite a lot of knowledge on hardware statistics but in things like software setup and Windows Installation I´m a total Noob, so please help me x)

Thanks in advance if you need any further information you can ask me, I will respond ASAP.

EDIT: Maybe I could somehow borrow a Windows 7 Installation CD from a friend but since I am running Windows 10 that wouldn't really help wouldnt it ?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Do you have version 1607 of win 10?
right click start button
choose run...
type winver
if Version is 1607, look at this to match your licence to your email address: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

if you don't have 1607, go here and choose update now. this downloads the upgrade assistant, run it and it will upgrade win 10 to latest build.

ever since 1607 you can move a licence from an old to new PC

If you want a Win 10 installer, download the Windows 10 media creation tool - 2nd link on page and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB or DVD

You don't need to know licence info anymore, its all stored on Microsoft servers. When you upgraded to win 10 it recorded the pc info and licence against a valid win 10 install on their servers, so everytime you reinstall on same PC or emal address it will reactivate in future. We don't know how many parts you can swap out before it deactivates, but you can replace all parts in PC and still activate.

Fapi

Commendable
Aug 19, 2016

First of all, thank you for this amazing help ! I checked my Windows 10 Version and I´m indeed running 1607.By the way are you sure that I also can transfer a license that came with a prebuilt PC? Many people state that isnt possible. I followed your steps and clicked on "Add account", afterwards I created one and after veryfieng it with the E-Mail Process I tried to connect it to my Windows 10 License by Signing in at the Activation -> add Account thing, but this is giving me the following issue now:

I always happen to get an error message that says that an error occured on their website and I should retry. However, I always get the same error message even after 10+ attempts with even two different Microsoft Accounts. Right now I have no clue how to possibly fix this, maybe you can help me out.

Ok so one further question: Given the Account linking works and I can link my Microsoft Account to my license, wont I have to enter a Product Key upon reinstallation of Windows after I wiped my hard drive (if necessary) ? In that case, which Key should I enter then, or will I be immediately asked to sign into my Microsoft Account therefore skipping the entering of a Product Key ?

Thanks already for the support given, I´m staying tuned for further advance to solve my Problem!

Colif

Win 11 Master
When you reinstall win 10 and get to page asking for licence info, click "I don't have a key" and once you logon with the email address it is linked to, it should auto activate. No licence keys needed anymore :)

where do you get that error? on the activation page?

USAFRet

Titan

When it asks for the license key, select I don't have one, at the bottom.
Later you can try the activation.
It will probably fail, and then you go into the Troubleshooter.
"I recently changed hardware, blah, blah."

This leads you to log in with your MS account.
It will attempt to activate.

However...
I just rebuilt my PC yesterday with new mb/CPU/RAM. Full reinstall of the OS.
Attempting the above, returns..."We can't contact the activation servers. Try again later." (or words to that effect)
Not that it won't activate, it apparently just can't talk to the server farm.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I wouldn't worry about it, it will probably resolve itself before you have a problem with it.

Win 10 will run for 30 days before it starts complaining about activation and I assume their servers will be working before then.

USAFRet

Titan

Right from the start, personalization of the Desktop fails.
"You need to activate Windows before you can personalize your PC."

So, you get the default Win 10 background.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Doesn't really stop you

You can still change your wallpaper in other ways, however. For example, you can right-click an image in File Explorer and select “Set as desktop background.” You could also open an image in the Photos app, click the menu button, click “Set as,” and click “Set as background.” Windows 7 eventually switched you back to a black background, but Windows 10 doesn’t seem to do this.

You’ll find Windows 10’s included wallpapers under the C:\Windows\Web folder in File Explorer

http://www.howtogeek.com/244678/you-dont-need-a-product-key-to-install-and-use-windows-10/

USAFRet

Titan

Previous activated OS
Linked OS license to MS account
Major hardware change (MB/CPU/RAM)
New install of OS with new hardware
Attempt activate via the Troubleshooter function
Pass or fail?

So far...unknown.

USAFRet

Titan

This concept has changed after Win 10 v1607.

USAFRet

Titan

Oh yes...I've recommended this procedure to many people, I wrote the tutorial on it here. It works.
But when it comes time for MY system.....it chokes. lol

Krishan Mourya

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2015

If that's so, then thanks for letting me know dude :)

USAFRet

Titan

Read this:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3164428/windows-build-1607-activation.html

Fapi

Commendable
Aug 19, 2016

Well after Christmas I will be able to tell you, I hope it works, other wise I guess I have to get a 10€ Windows ESD Key from the internet...

Fapi

Commendable
Aug 19, 2016

I hope its just their servers. I googled it and it appears many people seem to not be able to link their account and license. Reported errors range from something blocking the connection with the internet explorer proxy (which the system applications connect to the internet with, apparently) to some random anitvirus software blocking the communication client <-> internet. I will try to fix it but taking all possibilities into consideration it could take me a good while.

Fapi

Commendable
Aug 19, 2016

I hope that that really works, after all the upgrading having to purchase windows again wouldn't be all that great.

Fapi

Commendable
Aug 19, 2016

I get that error when I enter my Account data and hit enter. It says "Please wait" for a few moment and then tells me something needs to be wrong with their servers asking me to retry, which doesnt result in anything else than making the error message appear once again.

USAFRet

Titan
This is the error message that returns:
92Ify21.png

So we wait.

Fapi

Commendable
Aug 19, 2016

Yeah thats exactly what I get aside from the fact I´m german and it says something else but has the same content. Hope this gets fixed soon.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Even if the servers never came back, there are only a few indications that PC is unactivated. It stops you changing background via personalise but you can go around that, it has warnings about it in settings screen saying you unactivated, and after 30 days it puts a watermark on bottom right saying its unactivated. That is it, win 10 works perfectly normal otherwise. No restrictions.

I expect servers be up long before then.

USAFRet

Titan

The bottom right watermark is already there, on and off
No Taskbar settings changes.
No background changing
Lock screen
Basically, anything under Personalization
Privacy options
There may be other things

Does it work? So far, yes. But its only been 2 days.
I prefer to have it actually working, instead of workarounds.