Very disapointed in newegg sale prices - how they trick us with discounts

durangod

Honorable
Aug 10, 2016
I have been looking at this system for awhile and watching it almost daily for over a month. I never thought that newegg would pull such marketing trickery as they are doing.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.3020918

The discounted amount $54.93 always stays the same, all they do is raise or lower the main price and then show a false sale price. Sad Sad Sad!

To me this is not a ethical way of treating consumers.

RealBeast

Titan
Had you simply spent a little time, you could have gotten all of the parts, actually better parts, at a lower price from Newegg. You need to learn how to shop online.

Themastererr

Respectable
May 22, 2016
Find a local shop that will price match for you. Ordering online is overrated. Half the time the box looks like Ace Ventura delivered it.

Clothes are one thing - computer components are another.

durangod

Honorable
Aug 10, 2016
Thanks everyone. I was watching this because i was told on this forum that this deal (in the link) was a great deal when it was $680, i believe it was. I already have my own GPU, i got a gtx 960 sitting in the closet waiting for the rest of the parts if i go this way.

@Shady, thanks i never thought of it that way.. :) But do they really fluctuate that much all the time?

The reason i am so hessitant is because just buying the card i got was a complete hassle for just a card. I cant imagine what ordering a whole system would be.

I bought a card that was suppose to fit gtx 1060 mini, it did not work because my system (4 years old) does not support legacy bios, so i had to return that card and get the 960. The 960 does not work because of some kind of power rating issue from my 600w power supply.

So what is someone that does not know about this stuff suppose to do when they want to save money but they dont know the kazillion little rules that apply when your ordering parts? We dont know what to look for or how to assure things work. And i also have no clue how to do bios from scratch.

But i need a new system and i want to save money. So what are my options...

I want the new 6th gen i7 2600 Z170 chipset 1151 socket, and a good board that will work with my gtx 960 graphics card guarenteed. I need a good powersupply, 16gb memory, windows 10 pro, a good cpu cooling fan (no water i hate water cooling), a good case, a good cdrom that does all types R-RW and movies, 2tb hard drive, and i guess the 240gb sata is for windows install i think so i need one of those if thats enough space.

I know i can get a prebuilt OMEN from HP for about $1600, which also comes with the gtx1080 the best card in the industry right now. But i want to save money too.

So what am i suppose to do when i dont know how to order parts?

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah it's a decent deal but there's definitely better that you could get. But considering that the 6700K runs $330 that's not bad.

I bought a card that was suppose to fit gtx 1060 mini, it did not work because my system (4 years old) does not support legacy bios, so i had to return that card and get the 960. The 960 does not work because of some kind of power rating issue from my 600w power supply.

That doesn't make a lot of sense. A 1060 to a 960 is a downgrade. Although if you're experiencing power issues then your PSU definitely needs replacing.

So what is someone that does not know about this stuff suppose to do when they want to save money but they dont know the kazillion little rules that apply when your ordering parts? We dont know what to look for or how to assure things work. And i also have no clue how to do bios from scratch.

If you know what you are buying going in, it's not as complicated as you would think it is. I don't know what "BIOS from scratch" means unless you are going to overclock.

I want the new 6th gen i7 2600 Z170 chipset 1151 socket, and a good board that will work with my gtx 960 graphics card guarenteed. I need a good powersupply, 16gb memory, windows 10 pro, a good cpu cooling fan (no water i hate water cooling), a good case, a good cdrom that does all types R-RW and movies, 2tb hard drive, and i guess the 240gb sata is for windows install i think so i need one of those if thats enough space.

The i7-2600 is several years old now. The current generation is the i7-6700K and it is much better than any previous generation. I wouldn't worry about DVD-R drives as they are no longer a necessity. There's definitely better SSDs that you can buy - those Kingston SSDs are low end garbage.

I know i can get a prebuilt OMEN from HP for about $1600, which also comes with the gtx1080 the best card in the industry right now. But i want to save money too.

You can get a 1080 and a 6700K for less money than what HP offers without the bloatware:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($339.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($43.53 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI Z170A GAMING M5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($153.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($93.11 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Superclocked Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card ($629.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($85.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1566.55
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-12-04 02:00 EST-0500

durangod

Honorable
Aug 10, 2016
Thanks G-unit1111 i totally appreciate that so very very very much. I have never done bios in my life so i thought we had to install and configure ourselves, i guess not. I heard the MSI boards come with a nice UI for the bois which makes it easy, dont know if thats true or not.

Regarding my card on hand, i called the MFG for both new cards and they could not tell me if they should work or not, the machine just beeped with both cards thats all and would not boot. All they would ever tell me is that my 4 year old HPE h9-1110t (which was close to the top of the line when i bought it and very expensive) machine either did not have enough power or did not support legacy bios and thats why they didnt work.

I was referring to the 6700k sorry i left out the k part :)

Again i really appreciate the list, i was working on a wishlist in my newegg account and so i appreciate that very much. I will have to replace the 1tb on your list with a 2tb because i have a 1tb in my current system and my steam games ate it up quick, especially with GTA5 and Doom 4 both at over 65GB downloads, so a 2tb is better to get i think.

And to save money i may leave off the 1080 you selected and go with my 960 just for now.

The case is wonderful with one exception, i really need a cdrom drive slot, i still have some old games i like to install and play. So ill need to find a case thats exactly like this one but with a cdrom drive slot.

I will have to add windows 10 anyway..

Again, i cant thank you enough for that list. :)

durangod

Honorable
Aug 10, 2016
I also forgot to ask what kind of thermal compound do i need, i bought some like 8 years ago and its not dried out at all, only used once. Its dynex silver thermal compound, i guess its still good after 8years. But it would not hurt to get a new tube i guess since im spending money on other stuff. What the difference between them i see a red label, blue label.

yep why I look price ranges online for parts then got to frys.com and prep my needs and pick up in store.
nice thing about store bought... easy return exchange compared to online days waiting for it to return in case of a problem

durangod

Honorable
Aug 10, 2016
Seems like the thermal paste either comes in the cooler box or is pre applied so that saves a few bucks.

@paladin yes i agree what you save online you pay for in returns and time. Took me 10 days just to get my 1060 card fully exchanged and the credit on my account. All we have here is a bestbuy so ill compare prices there to see whats the better deal (including return hassle). thanks :)