Need to Activate Windows After Putting Hard Drive into New PC

TeckNek

Commendable
Dec 3, 2016
So I recently built a computer using old server parts and decided to save money by using the hard drive from an older laptop with Windows 10. When I use the new computer, however, it says I need to activate Windows. So, is there a way I am able to activate Windows without having to buy a product key? (Knowing it was already activated on the laptop, I figured there has to be someway) Help would be greatly appreciated!

Solution
Which version of win 10 are you on?
right click start
choose run...
type winver

if version is 1607, right click This PC on desktop
choose properties
in pop up, at bottom should be activation. There should be numbers yotu can ring Microsoft on, and beg case with them. tell them it was an upgrade and they may activate your PC

If version was not 1607, you will need to go to here and press upgrade now. This will download the upgrade assistant. run it and it will upgrade you to latest version. then follow instructions to contact MS.

since 1607 you can move win 10 to another PC but it always helped if you did this first - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Which version of win 10 are you on?
right click start
choose run...
type winver

if version is 1607, right click This PC on desktop
choose properties
in pop up, at bottom should be activation. There should be numbers yotu can ring Microsoft on, and beg case with them. tell them it was an upgrade and they may activate your PC

If version was not 1607, you will need to go to here and press upgrade now. This will download the upgrade assistant. run it and it will upgrade you to latest version. then follow instructions to contact MS.

since 1607 you can move win 10 to another PC but it always helped if you did this first - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

Microsoft are only people that can help you.

Solution