Disabled all the services in msconfig, when restarted, it shows the time and date, but not the login screen when I press a key

RevexTheX

Commendable
Dec 4, 2016
I can not get into my Windows 10 Dell XPS computer. I disabled all the services in msconfig, and when I restarted the computer, it showed the time and date, but when I pressed a key, it does not show the login screen. I am trying to get into safe mode, and I have tried a couple methods, which none of them worked. I have tried holding shift before I pressed the restart button, with no luck. I also have powered my computer off from the computer box 3 times, also with no luck. Another thing I have tried is spamming the f8 key on startup and the options I had where Setup (f2) and Boot Options (f12). If this makes any difference to your solution, I do not have a Windows 10 DVD to boot up with. Also, I have read some threads about system restore, but I do not know how to access it without getting into your computer, and I am not even sure if I have any restore points. Is it possible for me to get into safe mode, get into my computer, and enable all the services again?

Solution
that seems to be a feature now, i wonder if microsoft will fix it or adjust the advice as it locks you out of PC if you do it. Why did you disable them all? what advised you to do it?

Clean boot instructions just say to disable non Microsoft services, otherwise it may not run the login service which could be what happened to you.

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB or DVD
change boot order so USB/DVD is first, hdd second

see if we can get into safe mode
boot from installer, on 2nd screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up options << this may not be here
hit the restart button
choose a safe...

Colif

Win 11 Master
that seems to be a feature now, i wonder if microsoft will fix it or adjust the advice as it locks you out of PC if you do it. Why did you disable them all? what advised you to do it?

Clean boot instructions just say to disable non Microsoft services, otherwise it may not run the login service which could be what happened to you.

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB or DVD
change boot order so USB/DVD is first, hdd second

see if we can get into safe mode
boot from installer, on 2nd screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up options << this may not be here
hit the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
PC will restart and load safe mode

if you want msconfig, right click start
choose run...
type msconfig

if start up options aren't there, try start up repair
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up repair - this will scan PC and maybe fix this - will ask for logon info

if you want system restore, its also in the advanced menu

Solution

RevexTheX

Commendable
Dec 4, 2016

Will this make me lose all my data on the computer? I don't think I have any system restore points.

Colif

Win 11 Master
what advice did you follow saying to disable them all?

Win 10 login services need to be running to let you in. So disabling them leaves you where you are.

Clean boot advice says to disable all services except windows ones.

Type msconfig

Click on System Configuration

Click on Boot tab

Click on Safe boot.

If you need internet while in Safe mode, click on Safe mode with networking.

In order to return to normal boot after entering safe mode you need to navigate back to System Configuration/boot tab and click on Normal.

RevexTheX

Commendable
Dec 4, 2016
Sorry, the reason why I disabled all the services (including the Windows ones) is because I had these weird programs that kept coming up when I restarted my computer, and were not in the startup part, so I just disabled all of the services. It was my mistake. I will go ahead and try your solution now and if it works I will pick it as the solution.

Yes I did. The OP did not know how to correctly navigate to safe mode. After the help is provided to correct the issue the information provided can be of help in the future.

RevexTheX

Commendable
Dec 4, 2016
I have tried with 3 different types of flash drives to create it on, and none of them worked. On the media creation tool, all it says is "We can't find a USB flash drive." I also have tried 3 different computers, and none of them worked. On "This PC," it says removable disk, 14.9 GB of storage. Any suggestions to make it detect the USB?