Move OS to new SSD, no care for data

guppy11702

Commendable
Dec 4, 2016
I want to move mt OS to my new SSD (256gb) and I don't really care for the data at all, it's all just Steam, Spotify, Skype, etc. Is there just a way to move it and use the SSD to boot the computer faster?

Solution
Welcome to the community, @guppy11702!

Can you please share more details about your current storage configuration. It would be really helpful to us. :) Since you don't care for any important files on the storage, you can simply clean install the OS onto the new SSD. The most important thing to remember with this method is that you need to unplug the current booting drive and all secondary SATA devices while installing Windows OS onto the new primary SSD. If you have more than 1 destination SATA devices connected, you could most probably encounter an OS confusion that would require you to repeat the clean install procedure again. Once you have Windows up and running from the new SSD, plug back the old storage drives and re-format...
Welcome to the community, @guppy11702!

Can you please share more details about your current storage configuration. It would be really helpful to us. :) Since you don't care for any important files on the storage, you can simply clean install the OS onto the new SSD. The most important thing to remember with this method is that you need to unplug the current booting drive and all secondary SATA devices while installing Windows OS onto the new primary SSD. If you have more than 1 destination SATA devices connected, you could most probably encounter an OS confusion that would require you to repeat the clean install procedure again. Once you have Windows up and running from the new SSD, plug back the old storage drives and re-format them through Disk management to get rid of any old system files and the previous OS. Here's a pretty detailed step-by-step tutorial you might find useful Windows Install & Optimization for SSDs & HDDs.

Another alternative would be to clone the OS using a cloning software. Usually there are such utilities with the SSD retail package, but you can also look at these suggestions from the community. Here's a Migration to an SSD tutorial you could use as well.

P.S. A backup of any personal files that are important to you is essential to avoid the data loss headaches.

Hope this helps you. Let me know if you have more questions!
SuperSoph_WD

Solution

USAFRet

Titan

On your current C drive, how much total used space is there?