Getting two different BSODs when playing games

BlueReality

Commendable
Dec 4, 2016
In various games I'm getting two different BSODs: either WHEA uncorrectable error or video scheduler internal error. The odd thing is that my PC doesn't gather error data from the WHEA errors, so I can't get any dmp files from those.

The blue screens occur anywhere from twice a day to once every 3 days, but generally only seem to happen ingame. I've tried installing different display drivers, I've tried reinstalling Windows 10 completely, I've tried different energy settings for my PC and I also tried different settings in the Geforce control panel. Nothing seems to work. I've tested my CPU and RAM, and both seem to be fine. My video card is a GTX 1070 and my PC is new, the issues have been occurring from the start. I have 2 different brands of GTX 1070s I have tried: a Gigabyte one and a KFA2 1070. Both have the same problems with blue screens.

I'm considering sending the PC back, but I'd first like to check if there's anything I possibly haven't tried yet.

Here's the dmp files from the video scheduler internal errors: http://i.imgur.com/dAunavD.png

Solution
you check the connection but I have seen systems that have a bad connector that did not actually provide power.
The connector can be miss aligned and actually pushed out of the plastic holder when it was inserted.
I have seen connectors with copper wires that actually stopped midway into the wire. (both ends connected but missing a chunk of the actual copper wire)
I have seen PSU that actually were defective and not providing any power to the graphics cable.

You might try a alternate conductor or PSU graphics connection.

Colif

Win 11 Master
if its new, i would send it back as WHEA errors are hardware errors tied to CPU. WHEA = Windows Hardware Error Architecture.

Video scheduler internal error are gpu errors.

Better to have it looked at by people who made it.

BlueReality

Commendable
Dec 4, 2016

Thank you for your reply. I will contact the shop that sold me the PC today.

The reason I was a bit hesitant to do send the PC back is because I've already sent back a PC to them before. The first time I bought the same PC the PSU failed within a few days. When they sent me the PC a second time (this PC) the video card was damaged during delivery, and they sent me another graphics card afterwards to use.

Seems like the delivery may have damaged more components though, but I was trying my best to resolve the blue screens somehow. Seems like it's a bit too much for me to fix.

BlueReality

Commendable
Dec 4, 2016

I already ran this test before, but did it again just now to be safe. After the test it gave me "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations." So that should be fine I guess.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

BlueReality

Commendable
Dec 4, 2016

I could choose the components for my PC at a webshop, which they then put together and delivered to me. The motherboard is an MSI X99A GAMING 7, according to the MSI update tool the BIOS is up to date.

CPU is an Intel Core i7 5820K @ 3.30GHz.

Those update tools cannot be trusted ;) Those can be fine, but better checking it manually.
The Intel homepage is a bit tricky.
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26136/Intel-Management-Engine-Driver-5M-for-Windows-7-8-1-and-10-for-Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC5i5MYHE-and-Intel-NUC-Board-NUC5i5MYBE?wapkw=intel+management+engine

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26361/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-RAID-Driver?product=55005

eventually:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26223/Intel-Server-Chipset-Driver-for-Windows-

Eventually the Intel update utility can help a bit
and check the MSI driver homepage:
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/X99A-GAMING-7.html#down-driver&Win10%2064

Bios version is "H.F" ?

install the graphics drivers from nvida.com

Run Intel processor diagnostics tool
boot memtest86+ from a stick
check hdd/ssd with its manufacturer´s tool

BlueReality

Commendable
Dec 4, 2016

Do I need to uninstall any drivers before installing those you linked? I've already gotten into the habit of uninstalling my display driver with DDU and then running the driver setup I downloaded from the nvidia website afterwards.

However, I won't be able to do all of that immediately, so I'll probably get back to you tomorrow. Thanks for the help.

BlueReality

Commendable
Dec 4, 2016
Sorry for getting back to you only now, had to wait until the weekend to have enough time to spend on my PC again.

I downloaded and installed all the drivers you linked. All the other drivers listed on the MSI webpage have been installed too. I ran the CPU and HDD/SDD tests and they both passed. I'll run memtest86+ tonight to see if there's any problems with my RAM (I heard those tests can take quite a while).

In my BIOS it said it was at version E7885IMS.HE0

Update: After some googling I figured out this is not the latest version and I then updated it (to the H.F. version you mentioned).

BlueReality

Commendable
Dec 4, 2016

No, I've had one BSOD so far (WHEA uncorrectable error). I will start running memtest86+ now, I'll let you know what the results are tomorrow.

a bug check 0x124 WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
just simply can not be caused by your system RAM.

It will be caused by a power problem most often a side effect of over clocking software.
I would first remove any CPU and GPU overclocking and check that your system is not overheating.
IE confirm your CPU and GPU fans are spinning up to proper speed.

BlueReality

Commendable
Dec 4, 2016

Yeah it certainly doesn't seem like my RAM has any issues, it's at 7 passes now (61% into pass 8) and no errors as of yet.

I have never overclocked my video card or any of my hardware for that matter. I reset my BIOS settings to default twice just to make sure there wasn't any setting on that was overclocking my CPU. I have kept an eye on my GPU and CPU temperatures while playing: my GPU never seemed to get above 65 degrees celcius and my CPU wasn't too hot either.

If there's some kind of power problem I have no idea why or how it's occurring, everything seems to be connected properly and both video cards I have tested gave me the same BSODs.

note: bugcheck ox124 caused by the below means often do not leave a memory dump. It is a quick shutdown to the CPU to prevent a detected overload condition. (panic shutdown) overheating shutdowns do often leave a memory dump and you can look at it to see what called the shutdown.
often the CPU is reset by the motherboard, then the power supply does not prevent the CPU from restarting and it restarts while the power is not stable, this causes the CPU to get cache memory errors that the CPU detects and then calls the 0x124 bugcheck to shutdown. This condition can be detected by looking at a memory dump if you get one the system up timer will be very short, generally under 15 seconds.

looks like the stock card would require 150 watts
and has a 8 pin supplemental power connector.
(overall, you would need a 500watt or better PSU)

if the power connector is not connected or the psu does not provide proper power then your system will bugcheck with error 0x124 when the GPU goes into 3d graphics mode. this can be triggered via browser using 3d acceleration.

I would make sure the GPU is not overclocked, you might even underclock it or set it to stock clock speeds if your power supply is marginal. And do check that extra power connection. if it is not working then the GPU will take the power from the motherboard slot and the motherboard protection circuits will attempt to prevent the slot from catching fire by telling the CPU to shut down using the 0x124 method. crappy motherboard just burn out the graphic card and slot.

BlueReality

Commendable
Dec 4, 2016

My PSU is a Corsair 750W, which should be more than adequate. The GPU has an 8-pin connector, which I've made sure several times is connected properly. I can try underclocking to see if this prevents the BSODs from occurring, will try by about 100Mhz first.

What do you mean with checking that extra power connection? Any specific connections that I need to check besides the GPU 8-pin?

you check the connection but I have seen systems that have a bad connector that did not actually provide power.
The connector can be miss aligned and actually pushed out of the plastic holder when it was inserted.
I have seen connectors with copper wires that actually stopped midway into the wire. (both ends connected but missing a chunk of the actual copper wire)
I have seen PSU that actually were defective and not providing any power to the graphics cable.

You might try a alternate conductor or PSU graphics connection.

Solution

BlueReality

Commendable
Dec 4, 2016

So far I've not had any BSODs yet when underclocking by 100 Mhz, but if I do happen to get one I'll try and see if I can get a different connector to check if that helps.

Thanks for the help.