Can a computer be used to overcome DDOS?

TheCrazyBoi

Commendable
Dec 4, 2016
So I have been thinking for a while... Is it possible to use a computer to overcome DDOS Attacks?

I mean like, the main router in your house or in your business is the box who controls the internet, right? And a DDOS attack is just packets flowing into your router. The packets must be controlled in the router, like if it needs to pass through or drop it from accessing the intranet/internet. So I was thinking, why not use a computer instead with two Ethernet ports?

The router needs to control each packet and a router has a CPU and RAM? Why not use a computer that can do this faster? Drop or allow packets much faster just by using a computer with decent a decent proccessor and enough RAM?

http://i.imgur.com/fBsUld7.png

I don't know if this works or not, it was just an idea that came to me... :bounce:

Most modern routers have no trouble keeping up with 1g ports. The problem is it does no good to discard traffic when it gets to you. It has already used the bandwidth up coming to your house. It does not matter if you keep it or discard it. DDOS attacks are not really against the router or servers themselves they are against the network connection. For most people the network connection is much smaller than the gigbit ports on routers or servers.

You can really do nothing about DDoS attacks. Even ISP have little control they can only try to limit it before it is sent in a connection that could be overloaded. Some of latest ones have been in excess of a 100gbits/sec and that will overload even ISP core fibers