Liteon Technology Corporation

Andy the Droid

Commendable
Dec 5, 2016
Regarding your forums' problem with Liteon Technology Corporation's unauthorized mac address, I have a LG Chromebase, and when I turn on its WiFi, I also have a mac address from Liteon Technology Corporation. I read somewhere that some of the power bricks being manufactured in mainland China have the ability to "call home". Try turning off the WiFi on your devices one at a time and see if Liteon Technology Corporation disappears until you find the one that does that. Not sure why it needs to "call home" or what it's sending, but I keep the WiFi off as much as possible.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
What "problem" are you referring to?

Do you have any sources to backup your assertions?

Often, the issue, if I understand your concern, it that users will see an odd wireless device on their home network. My new smart phone, when first connecting, shows up as a Ralink Wireless Adapter. My office Blackberry does something similar.

Given the new-ish IoT devices, folks will see all sorts of things on their networks.

So, what "problem" do you think we have with the forum?

Firstly, Liteon is Taiwanese. Taiwan and China don't like each other, so it's rather unlikely it would phone home there.

Plenty of manufacturers use a wireless module from another company, and it looks like Liteon is one of the companies that make these. Unless the manufacturer has the volume and cash to get a custom batch of chipsets that appear as their own, the device will show up as Liteon.

Nothing to worry about.