Help selecting OS for new PC

warhammer1

Commendable
Dec 1, 2016
Hi all,

So, I am building a gaming PC for the first time (parts are on the way!). All I need to choose now is an OS. I was going to go with Windows 10, but the cost is shocking ($119.99). I already spent quite a bit of my reserves on the PC and monitor.

My question is whether there is a viable (and more affordable) alternative to Windows 10...like say SteamOS or Chrome OS? Are there any downsides to these? I will mostly just game, watch movies, and surf the web on this pc (I have a macbook pro for other stuff). Also, if I choose an OS during initial installation, can I change this later if it ends up being a bad choice?

Thanks a bunch!

Solution
you can always change the os. no problem there. win 10 is the way to go for max compatibility but there are a lot of linux distros out there that work very well and are free.

in the end however, only windows will let you play the full catalog of games and only win 10 will let you play dx 12 games so it really is the only choice in the end. for everything but gaming, linux is more than enough.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
you can always change the os. no problem there. win 10 is the way to go for max compatibility but there are a lot of linux distros out there that work very well and are free.

in the end however, only windows will let you play the full catalog of games and only win 10 will let you play dx 12 games so it really is the only choice in the end. for everything but gaming, linux is more than enough.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS