Static in headset when using front mic/audio jacks

Loonyluke5

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2014
So i recently built a new PC, and when I am using the front mic or audio jack I get a static noise in my headset. It works fine when using the back ports, however Realtek audio manager doesn't recognize that i am using a headset (instead thinks it is a speaker) and I suffer from lower sound quality because of it (cannot use headphone virtualization). I have tried reinstalling drivers and checked the HD audio plug on the motherboard but have had no luck. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

I'd be very suspicious of the front jacks or the cable linking them to the motherboard.
Don't worry about using the mic connection for the time being and test the front and back connection again.. I imagine it's the same as before anyways.
Out of curiousity, what headset and motherboard do you have? How many 'black lines' are on the headset audio plug?

Loonyluke5

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2014
Thanks for the reply! I have the Gigabyte B150N PHOENIX-Wi-Fi B150 Express S-ATA 600 Mini-ITX Motherboard and a Steelseries Siberia 200 headset. I'm not sure what you mean by the black lines on the audio plug, could you clarify please.