How Profitable Would Building PCs To Sell In Today's Market Be?

JordanX43

Commendable
Dec 6, 2016
I am interested in building desktops to sell on craigslist is this something worth pursuing or is it a dead end?

Solution
since you mentioned craigslist i'm guessing usa? its a dead end.

you might make about $50-100 at most while having to put forth quite a bit of money up front. its a big risk as if it does not sell quick its money lost due to depreciation. in addition you get people trying to chew you down on price, expecting price matching or some form of warranty. not to mention do you really want strangers in your house and to deal with weirdos? plus, given the value of the commodity its also a target for theft.

most people, even high end customers, are completely clueless about parts choices and what is good. a person might google that an i7 and gtx1080 are good but will completely overlook everything else. those who do know parts in and out will...

Jamie_Lannister

Reputable
Dec 9, 2015
In my country I'm sometimes amazed how expensive the prebuild pc are. And I mean the low end ones because i think the sellers realize that the high end customers usually know ther sh@#$t so the high end prebuilds are not that far from reasonable pricing. But gotta love these "super ultragaming machines" that feature GT 740 (only 4GB variant so they can brag about it being 4gb) and like i3 or fx 6300. And if it comes with like GTX 750 (yea not even Ti one) the prices can get as high as i5 6500 GTX 970/1060 combo. I personally find it funny how many peaple buy this ovepriced crap in my country (i think they even beat alienware and msi in ridiculous prices) Might just start doing it myself actually just need to get some more money :D. If you are wondering the country I live in is Poland.

since you mentioned craigslist i'm guessing usa? its a dead end.

you might make about $50-100 at most while having to put forth quite a bit of money up front. its a big risk as if it does not sell quick its money lost due to depreciation. in addition you get people trying to chew you down on price, expecting price matching or some form of warranty. not to mention do you really want strangers in your house and to deal with weirdos? plus, given the value of the commodity its also a target for theft.

most people, even high end customers, are completely clueless about parts choices and what is good. a person might google that an i7 and gtx1080 are good but will completely overlook everything else. those who do know parts in and out will build it themselves instead of buying it prebuilt.

Solution