Need to know the requirements for the EGPU for macbook Pro/Air

Tech_Pirates

Commendable
Dec 6, 2016
Hi guys,

Well I'm looking to buy Macbook Pro/Air not yet decided as my main purpose is to work on OS/X (I'm a developer) and sometimes play new games, so I have a planning to install windows on bootcamp to play windows games. But my question is I want EGPU for gaming purposes so what I would need to install EGPU on macbook pro and air!! As I've seen videos on youtube but no one has properly explained about what things you will need to install EGPU. And one more thing I'm looking to buy GTX 1080 GPU to install as egpu and I want to play games mostly on laptop.

So guys just let me know for both Pro and air so I will buy according and please keep this in mind that I'm living in India, so if you sharing the brand name then share it according to India and if possible share the links also as I generally buy items from amazon.in.

the only way to do eGPU on macbook is over thuderbolt.
you can use this one: https://bizon-tech.com/us/bizonbox2s-egpu.html/ or the newer version.
or you can build one yourself for about half the price.
honestly, macbook air CPU is too weak for both playing serious games and to power the GTX 1080 (GPU will be underutilized).
same goes for the Macbook pro 13 - even i7 is a mobile dual core variant.
for signing/debuging the apps, you can use any of them, but for gaming it would be better to get a separate rig.
Macbooks are expensive shiny toys. they are not professional instruments. I'm also a dev that have to use mac for work. but beyond that it's only good for browsing and typing.

Tech_Pirates

Commendable
Dec 6, 2016

Hi first of all thank you for the reply and from this reply please don't think that I'm disrespecting you or anything like that as it is just my opinion and nothing else!!

So tell me what about Apple Macbook pro 15 Inc with amd graphic (2015 model) will that be fine for GTX 1080 GPU as an EGPU??

I'm insisting Apple's machine not because as an Apple fan (though I'm an apple's fan) but because of their build quality (means its durable, long life machine and there hardware is pretty damn good as compared to other company's machine build). As I've pretty bad personal experience with Dell, HP, Acer and Lenovo in terms of service (as they do provide service but there refurbished hardware does not last long enough) and don't know about Asus and MSI as I haven't use them in my life but heard a lot of bad news in terms of service in India (as I live in India) and rest others Razor, system 76 and Origin - they don't provide support in India so can't go with them!!

So after all these I've left only one option that is Apple, so please let me know about this machine and also I won't mind if you can think about what were you gonna do if you were at my place and you have all these scenario??

Please share your opinion!!

Once again Thanks for the help!!

I'd get some version of macbook pro with i5 and a gaming rig. I mean desktop for gaming.
The only durable laptops I know about are ThinkPads. Especially X series. Macs are crap. Aluminum body is great looking non practical crap for laptop. not to mention that keyboard touches the screen and after a while you can see the marks. there is no way to remove them.
The 2015 15" is fine for eGPU with the quite good CPU.

Tech_Pirates

Commendable
Dec 6, 2016

Hi
I check about the mac book pro that I want to buy is MJLQ2 with core i7 quad core processor. So I want to add GPU that is GTX 1080 for this laptop then what would I need as BizonBox 2s is not available in India, so I searched the alternate of BizonBox 2s, I got Akitio that is available So can you tell which model I should buy and also for PSU as BizonBox comes with an builtin adaptor of 200 w for GTX 1080. So can you suggest which psu should I buy? And how install all this so if possible please guide or share a video with me.

And all this I will install in external 1 tb Samsung EVO 850 SSD as macbook pro comes with only 256 GB SSD. So is it ok?