Next Upgrade Plan/Ideas

WesTi

Reputable
Nov 23, 2014
Hey All, just wanted some input on which way you think I should go with the next upgrade purchase (with xmas coming up and January sales etc)

pc specs are as follows:

I5 4690K OC - 4.2GHZ with H100I
Gigabyte Z97-D3H Z97
G.Skill 8GB (2x 4GB) Dual Channel Ares Series Memory Kit (DDR3 1600, 9-9-9-24
XFX Radeon HD 7970 DD
Corsair RM750W PSU
Fractal Design ARC Midi R2 (thinking of building the pc into a desk)
Samsung 840 Pro 128GB (OS)
Samsung 850 Evo 250GB (Gaming Drive)
Seagate 500GB HDD (Storage)

I have been looking at the GTX 1060 as a possible upgrade from the Radeon 7970 (Around £200-£250 (I feel mine might be on the lower end of the benchmarks now and biggest improvement)

after many reviews appears its not worth upgrading the CPU yet

I was debating to go for 16GB of ram, but then after reading a lot of threads I think I would benefit from very little gain? - just wondering what peoples thoughts are on 16GB VS 8GB

I don't know if its worth getting a bigger SSD ? - have a couple of titles I currently play and still have space left

PSU is gold and seems to be powerful enough for what I need (don't intend on SLI)

I am limited on space so a new case with a nice side window would not provide much benefit (this is why I am toying with the idea of building my pc into a desk) - other than that my case is fine for airflow/compatibility

I am happy with my peripheral's and currently gaming @ 1080P

would there be any benefits In a new mobo?

xFeaRDom

Estimable
First off, I prefer 16GB, that extra headroom is quite beneficial if you play games while watching a movie or something, just incase it gets backed up by only 8GB of RAM.

You probably don't need another SSD or anything like that, a larger HDD or something may help, or just installing it onto there anyway.

The best upgrade you can possibly do in this situation is the GPU, everything else is perfectly fine unless you want to get 16GB of RAM. Something like the 1060 will do as you said.

Wolfshadw

Titan
You're pretty much spot on with your take on things. Your best bet right now would be to just upgrade the graphics card. There's no argument from me with your GTX1060 selection. Just make sure your power supply has all the necessary PCI-E power connections (I'm 99.9% sure it does).

While there are a couple games that will give fits to computers with only 8GB of RAM, those games still ran ok (in my opinion). If you have the budget, I don't see it as a bad upgrade, but certainly not a necessary one.

As for the SSDs, if you still have space on your OS SSD and it's not filling up anytime soon, then I wouldn't worry about it.

I don't think there would be any benefits to a new motherboard unless you're moving to a newer processor.

-Wolf sends