Best 1440p 144hz G-sync monitor?

Beserklord1234

Reputable
Aug 18, 2016
Hey guys been looking around and about to buy a high end gaming monitor. Because i live in Australia my options are somewhat limited but iv been looking at this monitor to match my system build

Was wondering if this is a good choice or if there is a different route i should be taking? Like maybe going without G-Sync?

Solution
That's the one my son chose over the Asus PG279Q. Other than that, not much to look at. Those are tho two best monitors available at this point ... there's other things that draw your attention but none quite hit all the Hot Buttons

BTW, it's not 144 Hz its 165 ... the old XB270HU was 144.
That's the one my son chose over the Asus PG279Q. Other than that, not much to look at. Those are tho two best monitors available at this point ... there's other things that draw your attention but none quite hit all the Hot Buttons

BTW, it's not 144 Hz its 165 ... the old XB270HU was 144.

Solution

rtware923

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
I personally like my Dell S2716dg. Should be a little bit cheaper if it is available for you. 1440p 144hz would be a good way to go with your setup. 4k would might be possible but you wouldnt be able get as many frames.

iamacow

Admirable
i got the ACER XB1 XB271HU https://www.acer.com/ac/vi/VN/content/predator-xb1-series . It was on sale from $800 to $625 so I bought it. Its alright, I would have gotten a ASUS if they were the same price since ACER is known to make cheap products, but this is alright. Besides the OSD menu and the button being super cheaply made the panel itself is very nice and it even goes to 165hz if you DP 1.3 a card to support it.

That dell is TN so it's in the 'minor leagues" so to speak compared with those other two. It has a brightness issue when switching back and forth between ULMB which is detailed here:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_s2716dg.htm

The default setup was aimed at gaming, but left us with a low gamma for other day to day uses, and difficulty changing that without a calibration device. We would have also liked to see some preset modes offered so we could set one up for general use and another for gaming. The screen was also limited by the TN Film technology in some areas, particularly viewing angles but that is the same as other TN Film models around and should be a known sacrifice really.

Regarding 4k, you also can't meet the OPs primary requirement ... 144 Hz also can't use ULMB.

Beserklord1234

Reputable
Aug 18, 2016

Is this a typo from the site then? I too thought it was odd it was shown as 144hz on the site i linked and yet all reviews show it as 165hz

iamacow

Admirable

The reason is that Acer doesn't say they support the 165hz mode is because not all cards can do it. Like my old GTX 780 Ti could than the GTX 980 (for some unknown reason on mine alone) and GTX 770 couldn't and now my 1070 can just fine. I think its per brand and cable quality because its pushing DisplayPort 1.2b to its limits on bandwidth.

So if you set it to 165hz either it will work or it won't, Acer calls it "overclocking" but is complete marketing, they jut don't officially want to support it.

Someone messed up on the website cause the 27" 1440P is $800 MSRP not $1000.