Windows 10 key doesn't work aynmore

AuroraSCII

Commendable
Oct 18, 2016
Howdy!

I upgraded my Windows 7 Home Premium a year ago or so to Windows 10 Home.
After that I read the key out with a tool, wrote it down on a piece of paper and did a clean install of windows 10.
Worked flawless.

Now I decided to buy new hardware and gave my old MoBo + CPU, RAM and GPU to my brother.
Since literally no hardware has changed Windows 10 should just accept my key right?

That's what I thought, but it doesn't.

Does anybody know why that might be the case?

Is there any way around buying a new key?

fondest regards

Solution
How can none of the hardware have changed if you gave some of it away?

What were you installing win 10 onto? the new PC or the old one?

The key is not needed anymore. When you upgraded from 7 to 10 you received a digital entitlement to win 10 that replaced the key. every single win 10 install has the same key, its just a fake key really. What happens now is everytime you reinstall Win 10 on a PC that had it installed on it before, and get to the screen asking for a licence, you click the "I don't have a key" command in bottom right of screen and once Win 10 is installed, it checks a Microsoft server that has the details of your old licence + possibly an email address and PC details attached, next to a Digital Entitlement to win 10...

Colif

Win 11 Master
How can none of the hardware have changed if you gave some of it away?

What were you installing win 10 onto? the new PC or the old one?

The key is not needed anymore. When you upgraded from 7 to 10 you received a digital entitlement to win 10 that replaced the key. every single win 10 install has the same key, its just a fake key really. What happens now is everytime you reinstall Win 10 on a PC that had it installed on it before, and get to the screen asking for a licence, you click the "I don't have a key" command in bottom right of screen and once Win 10 is installed, it checks a Microsoft server that has the details of your old licence + possibly an email address and PC details attached, next to a Digital Entitlement to win 10, and reactivaters your PC.

That only works if PC has had win 10 on it already. If the PC is new, then you can move youur install over - have a look at this: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

if PC still remains unactivated, go to settings/update & security/activation and on the right tab there should be details to contact Microsoft as they are only ones who can help if it still doesn't work.

Solution

AuroraSCII

Commendable
Oct 18, 2016
Alright, maybe my post wasn't worded clear enough so I'll try again:

I gave away the entire system except for the drives and the PSU (which should be irrelevant) and on that system, that I gave away I had windows 10 installed which I got from upgrading.

For my new Motherboard/CPU I bought a new key.

Thank you for the information and the link I'll try that asap.

fondest regards

So its the system you gave away that isn't activating? Is it an OEM Windows 10? The licence will be tied to your Microsoft account, I don't think its transferable. Older versions OEM was tied to the motherboard but not anymore.

This means you probably didn't need to buy a new copy of Windows for your new PC as your OEM licence is activated by your MS account. The pc you gave away will need a new licence I believe.

So you basically have a whole brand new computer?

If I understand the OP correctly, then this is the correct answer.

AuroraSCII

Commendable
Oct 18, 2016
And I hoped that I was able to articulate myself in a way that is at least understandable :(

I have a new PC, yes. New Motherboard, new CPU, new graphics card and RAM.
I only kept my drives.

I gave my old motherboard, cpu, ram and graphics card to my brother. Along with the copy of windows 10 that is attached to the MoBo.

Anyways:

The problem fixed itself, apparently Windows 10 only needed some time to activate itself.
Most likely what Colif said is accurate, but it seems like this doesn't happen right away.
At least in my case it didn't.

Thank you!

As Colif pointed out, that is not how Windows 10 works (post Anniversary). Windows 10 is attached to your Microsoft account, not the motherboard. Because of this when you bought the new hardware for yourself you should have reactivated your existing Windows 10 license on that hardware and bought a new Windows 10 for the motherboard and hardware that you gave away.

This whole policy change occurred in August and it was not advertised as clearly as it should have been. Consequently you might have to call Microsoft to clear things up.

Plumboby

Respectable
Apr 18, 2016
depends i have had issues with ms with digital entitlements on a step sons they meant to tie to you account via digital entitlement minus oem if you donlt clear the cmos & oem licence might be still activated its hit or miss atm had an argument with them loosing a digital entitlement with a retail pro key this account being valid on a valid device since 8.1 pro gutted as gota buy a new key your brother maybe lucky highly not at all atm. My opinion of MS atm is mud atm not happy since the key was legititly active just over a hdd failure while clouding the digital intitlement a big f u