Monitor Refresh Rate Inquiry - Triple Monitor Gaming

waner21

Reputable
Dec 28, 2015
Greetings,

Perhaps my question should be moved to the Graphics Card section, but I personally felt that this was the most appropriate section. I have the following components that I feel pertain to this thread:

CPU: i5 4690k
GPU: Nvidia 760 GTX
Monitors: Asus VC239H 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor (3x)
PSU: XFX PRO Black Edition 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

I am getting into simulation racing (Assetto Corsa) and my current card cannot handle this game the way I want to play it (e.g. triple monitor surround setup). As a result, I'm looking into upgrading the GPU. Currently conflicted between the GTX 1060 and 1070. My question relates to my current monitors identified above.

I recently bought my monitors (I've been needing some 1080p monitors and found a good sale) so I'm not interested in upgrading, but I was curious if there are fellow members here that know if my monitors will impact my playability of Assetto Corsa after I upgrade my GPU. Since my monitors are 60 Hz, my understanding is that the refresh rate will cap my frame rate to 60 fps. Does anyone know if fast moving games like racing games have some playability affected for not exceeding 60 fps? Can I even distinguish a difference between 60 fps and >100 fps? If I want to maximize the graphics while playing, would the 1060 be the route to go for surround monitors (3x 1920x1080), or am I looking at needing a stronger GPU (perhaps the 1070)?

Thanks in advance. Regards.

Solution
I would go 1070, 1060 probably won't give you the frames you want. Heck if you can afford a 1080 would be worth it. >100 fps is noticeable, but you need a higher refresh rate monitor to see the difference. It's smoother, but if you've never seen it then don't worry about it. Since your monitors are 60hz, there's no real reason to try to run it over that.

anonymousdude

Distinguished
I would go 1070, 1060 probably won't give you the frames you want. Heck if you can afford a 1080 would be worth it. >100 fps is noticeable, but you need a higher refresh rate monitor to see the difference. It's smoother, but if you've never seen it then don't worry about it. Since your monitors are 60hz, there's no real reason to try to run it over that.

Solution