Should I install ubuntu?

Dev0077

Commendable
Dec 4, 2016
Hi, I have a HP Stream 13 laptop, the problem is it only has a 32GB SSD which only leaves 29 GB for OS installation. It is running windows 10, which only leaves 5-7 GB free. In short I only get 1-1.5 GB free. My question is should I delete my windows and install ubuntu? Will it be better? How much space does ubuntu requires?

Plug a fast 64/128gb SD card into your laptop, move your Documents (music, pictures, downloads) folder there, and you will be safe. I have a 2-in-1 with 32gb SSD, Windows takes about 20GB, and that more than enough for whatever I need. If you have installed fullblown Office, Photoshop, and other storage-hungry apps, then you've chosen wrong device to install them on.

Whether Ubuntu (or any other Linux distro) will be "better" than Windows on that laptop - only you (and your usage pattern) can tell.

wertciu

Commendable
Oct 4, 2016

Ubuntu will only take around 10gb of storage, so yes, ubuntu will give you much more room for files if you choose to install it.
However, 32gb isn't very much no matter what you have installed, so buying a bigger drive might be a better option if you have a lot of files like videos, pictures, or music.
But if you mostly use office documents and only have a few pictures/music your current ssd should be more than enough with ubuntu, and you can always buy an external drive if you wish.

crookedmouth

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013
With that laptop I would use Lubuntu. It is very light-weight, stable and user friendly. I think it is like a 2GB install size plus it will seem quick even on that laptop. It doesn't come with a lot of preinstalled packages, which is a good thing. Plus you get decent compatibility and support because it is Ubuntu at heart.