Display recommendations for current set up

schmidtb26

Commendable
Dec 6, 2016
Hello all! Currently I have my PC, Xbox 1 and cable box all hooked into my 55 inch sony HD via independent hdmi cables. Having just recently got a new gaming pc with a gtx 1080 gpu I was just wondering what monitor I could be using to get the full "effect" out of my card when playing games like Battlefield 1, Civ 6 and other current gen titles. I would assume that's something along the lines of 1440p and 144hz, or could I get the same 1440p with lower hz? I don't fully understand that aspect. Or is 4k the answer? IF that was the case, perhaps a 4k tv instead? Currently though while running full 1080p and max graphics the cards fan barely seems to need to speed up to cool it off, Also stuck at 60 fps. I want to be able to push this card a little more. First time ever having top of the line card and I'm mighty enthused!!!

Here's the catch though. I enjoy my current set up with 3 different inputs into my tv. I've looked into a few "gaming" or pc geared monitors and I noticed a lot of these lacked multiple hdmi ports. Also audio options seemed limited but I do have 3.5 mm logitechs I could pull out of the closet for use as well. They are pretty decent sound wise.

Anyways, I found 3-way hdmi splitters on amazon if I had to go that route.... are these ok to use if a monitor lacks multiple ports? Also would these pc displays with 1440p support my xbox 1 (not an xbox1 s, so only supports "full 1080p") and cable box. Or as stated before, should I go the 4k route? I don't want to spend extra money if I get nothing from it, I'm strictly looking for graphical improvements gaming wise but still plan to use the display for multiple devices. 250-350 USD is my price range. I do realize that I wont be getting any 55 inch monitor again for that price but the room is small and a display that size is overkill honestly, great for football on sundays but I could live with 27-34 inches if it means better gaming.

MarioRud

Honorable
May 4, 2015

I can see why you would want a better monitor to pair with your awesome gpu. I have a gtx 1060 hooked up to three 144z monitors and it does wonders, so I can only imagine what a gtx 1080 can do. I would definitely recommend a 144z monitor. The 1080 has 3 DisplayPorts , a HDMI, and a DVI-D port on the back. The DVI and all 3 display ports are capable 144z. Take a look at this monitor: https://www.amazon.com/VG278HV-1920x1080-144Hz-Gaming-Monitor/dp/B01DDR0FE2/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1481110802&sr=1-2&keywords=27+inch+144hz+monitor

It has pretty solid reviews and also seems to have everything you could want in a gaming monitor; 144z, 1ms response time, 27 inch. I couldn't find any 1440p monitors that would fit your budget but 1080p should be perfectly fine for gaming, unless you REALLY want 1440p. The monitor comes with a DVI-D cable which supports 144hz. Hope this helps :)

schmidtb26

Commendable
Dec 6, 2016
yea but I've read a bit and come to the conclusion that gaming with this card at 1080p is just under utilizing it. Is 1920x1080 @ 144hz a noticeable increase in graphical fidelity than say the same res. but @ 60hz. This is where my question of 4k comes in, would a 4k tv as compared to a pc display be feasible with my set up? Whats the difference between 4k and 2156 x 1080. I need some education on the matter. Again I have 3 different systems plugging into my tv which are Xbox, pc and cable box, all using HDMI connection so any advice on if a pc display is ok for that type of set up would be great. Main focus is increasing PC gaming graphical fidelity(4k, or"2k") and still being able to keep my other componenets connected to it. Thank you