Question About Unified Updates

Shaina11

Honorable
Apr 23, 2014
When Microsoft releases the Unified Update Platform, will we still be able to manually download cumulative updates? Will Microsoft continue to release cumulative updates?

Solution
One of the biggest community and customer benefits of UUP is the reduction you’ll see in download size on PCs. We have converged technologies in our build and publishing systems to enable differential downloads for all devices built on the Mobile and PC OS. A differential download package contains only the changes that have been made since the last time you updated your device, rather than a full build. As we rollout UUP, this will eventually be impactful for PCs where users can expect their download size to decrease by approximately 35% when going from one major update of Windows to another. We’re working on this now with the goal of supporting this for feature updates after the Windows 10 Creators Update; Insiders will see this...

Shaina11

Honorable
Apr 23, 2014

Thank you for the response. Hopefully we'll gain more insight soon. I'm just hoping they don't discontinue the cumulative updates, otherwise that bangs a nail in my idea of having one update file for ALL devices, this unified update platform will make it significantly more complex for my particular needs.

Colif

Win 11 Master
One of the biggest community and customer benefits of UUP is the reduction you’ll see in download size on PCs. We have converged technologies in our build and publishing systems to enable differential downloads for all devices built on the Mobile and PC OS. A differential download package contains only the changes that have been made since the last time you updated your device, rather than a full build. As we rollout UUP, this will eventually be impactful for PCs where users can expect their download size to decrease by approximately 35% when going from one major update of Windows to another. We’re working on this now with the goal of supporting this for feature updates after the Windows 10 Creators Update; Insiders will see this sooner.

Using UUP, when your device checks for updates, the Windows Update service will evaluate which updates are needed by a given device.

I see how that may be a problem for you

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/11/03/introducing-unified-update-platform-uup/#Aeu6WVewbFaq5Vig.97

Funny, i always thought it did that anyway

Solution

Shaina11

Honorable
Apr 23, 2014
Yup. As long as it's a secondary method to update a device, then I don't have as much of a problem with it, as long as I can still download all the updates manually and offline to apply them to any device, thus, it includes all updates for all devices. However, if they choose to discontinue the cumulative updates, then I will of course not be satisfied, Microsoft has changed enough as it is.