Is this a good monitor?

MeguminCrimson

Commendable
Nov 30, 2016
I am currently looking at the AOC G2460PG monitor, but I don't know if it's good. The reason I want to go with g-sync is because I can't keep constant 144 fps in battlefield 1.

Solution
I am not a fan of AOC ... If I was gonna spend $435 on this... I'd step up and by the Asus Model at $500. And by the time you go that far, I'd be yearning for IPS and 1440p at $700+.

Be aware that G-Sync, (like Freesync) is targeted at 60 fps and below...it still has a effect once ya go past it.... but after about 75Hz, I'd switch to ULMB. Freesync doesn't to ULMB. There is an alternative to ULMB which you can use with the Asus VG248QE... do a web search for toasty strobelight.

To get an understanding of how G-Sync works ,,, and ULMB, read this

It should be noted that the real benefits of variable refresh rate technologies [G-Sync / Freesync] really come into play when viewing lower frame rate content, around 40 - 75fps...

MeguminCrimson

Commendable
Nov 30, 2016

Now I feel stupid. New to Tomshardware though, if that's an excuse.

I am not a fan of AOC ... If I was gonna spend $435 on this... I'd step up and by the Asus Model at $500. And by the time you go that far, I'd be yearning for IPS and 1440p at $700+.

Be aware that G-Sync, (like Freesync) is targeted at 60 fps and below...it still has a effect once ya go past it.... but after about 75Hz, I'd switch to ULMB. Freesync doesn't to ULMB. There is an alternative to ULMB which you can use with the Asus VG248QE... do a web search for toasty strobelight.

To get an understanding of how G-Sync works ,,, and ULMB, read this

It should be noted that the real benefits of variable refresh rate technologies [G-Sync / Freesync] really come into play when viewing lower frame rate content, around 40 - 75fps typically delivers the best results compared with Vsync on/off. At consistently higher frame rates as you get nearer to 144 fps the benefits of FreeSync (and G-sync) are not as great, but still apparent. There will be a gradual transition period for each user where the benefits of using FreeSync decrease, and it may instead be better to use a Blur Reduction feature if it is provided. On FreeSync screens this is not an integrated feature however, so would need to be provided separately by the display manufacturer.

To maintain 144Hz w/ BF1 at 144 fps, you will need more than a GTX 1080 (151 avg / 133 min)

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/variable_refresh.htm

http://www.techspot.com/review/1267-battlefield-1-benchmarks/page2.html

THG has a review here on site ... end result - very underwhelming

Solution