Windows 10 - 100% Disk Usage - Another Solution - Disable Visual Effects/Themes

Brandon_77

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2016
I just got a laptop and tried everything suggested and ended up figuring out my 100% disk usage spikes on me own. Only took me three days, but I haven't seen this solution offered yet. Maybe this solution will fix the nightmare for people who have tried everything else.

I used Resource Monitor and found the responsible process (usually a number in the millions, way beyond any other. Mine was an svchost, I believe), looked at the file path and saw Windows.Photo - I know Visual Effects/Themes have bogged down performance on other OS's, so I googled how to disable them on Windows 10. Now, I unchecked them all, because I don't care about it. Boom. No more spiking. Sits between 0-10% now.

tTjtFf9.jpg

As you can see, the responsible process is quite obvious. Use the sort function (by clicking on the category) to sort high to low. Also note, "Windows.Photo". That was ultimately what gave me my first clue. It spiked to 100% a few seconds later, so ignore the 0%. I screwed up the screenshot.

Now, you want to disable all Visual Effects (I left Thumbnails checked)

1. Press Window Key+X or Right Click on Start Menu
2. Click "System"
3. Click "Advanced System Settings"
4. Click the "Advanced" tab
5. In the "Performance" box click "Settings"
6. Select "Adjust for best performance". This should uncheck all boxes.
7. Click "Apply" then "Ok"
8. Recheck Resource Monitor to see if problem is resolved.
fPT4cbm.jpg

This was my final result
X942JL8.jpg

Link to reference on how to disable Visual Effects: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/disable-visual-effects-windows