Low fps on WoW

carlitoswayec

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2013
Hello,

I would like to ask for help / advise, improving fps in WoW. Right now it is pretty mediocre. 25-35 fps on outdoors, sometimes dropping to low 20's, high 10's, causing stuttering (and headache). I run WoW at graphic preset 8 (I lowered it to 7 and saw a small improvement).

My computer specs:

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
AMD FX-8320 not overclocked
8GB RAM
NVIDIA GTX 970
Samsung 1TB SSD
Windows 10

Thank you!

WildCard999

Titan
MMO FPS are definitely more finicky then your normal game. I would just keep lowering settings until you get a acceptable FPS in most areas. I don't know if WoW has this option but there are a few games (Tera/BnS) that allow you to have a automatic graphic adjustment where you pick the FPS you'd prefer and the game will auto adjust the settings to match close to your preferred FPS. This works well so when you enter highly populated areas such as cities it can adjust to lower settings so your not stuttering, then when you in a dungeon by yourself or with a few ppl your graphics will increase.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Certainly not a graphics issue. A GTX970 and FX-8320 are more than enough. Low end A6 processors do pretty well in WoW.

Something else is amiss.
1) CPU Temperature: if you are using the stock cooler, it could be overheating and throttling. (CPU-Z, CoreTemp, Hardware Monitor, etc)
2) GPU Temperature. Bad fan or dust build up, check it. (GPU-Z, MSI Afterburner)
1TB SSD is interesting. I would give that a test and see if it is performing as expected. (CrystalDisk Mark)
4) If not a hardware problem, look at any mods you may have installed. Sometimes games updates will break them and cause unexpected CPU usage.

Greatest graphics improvements in WoW are turning shadow details down, setting the view distance less than maximum, and in extreme cases turning down the details on effects. But you system is more than capable of greater than 60FPS at 1920x1080.

Zarniwoop81

Commendable
Dec 7, 2016
One thing to check in your settings is the Render Scale (under Advanced Settings). For some reason it is set to 200% by default which does a great job of reducing aliasing, but it will tank your framerate.

If it isn't that then I would look into drivers or possibly temperature issues. With those specs you should be able to run pretty smoothly (45-60fps, sometimes more) in the Broken Isles.

logainofhades

Titan
Run shadows on low, disable SSAO, and make sure render scale is at 100%. Even as unfriendly as WoW is, to AMD hardware, you should be doing better than that. An overclock to match an FX 8350 wouldn't hurt. Should only need to set the CPU multiplier to 20 to get there.