IPS monitor weird "wrinkles" on black backgrounds

Sanetokane

Commendable
Dec 7, 2016
Hey. I bought a MG279Q, my very first IPS monitor a few days ago. Today I noticed these weird "wrinkles" on both sides of the screen.
Now, as I said, this is my first IPS monitor, so I'm not exactly sure if this is how it's supposed to be or if my monitor is faulty. They only show up on absolutely black backgrounds, and it's not like they are very distracting.
However I did pay a pretty penny for this monitor, so I'd like to be sure I'm not getting screwed over.

GJhW76O.jpg

eulMbAI.jpg

Solution
IPS glow is normal for these types of monitors, but with the pictures that you have provided, it looks really severe. I too have an IPS monitor (Acer H6 Series H236HLbid), but the IPS glow is very minimal. IPS glow is dependent from angles and distance, were as back-light bleed is independent from angles/distance. Its quite hard to understand and explain the two, but this site covers everything about the two. http://www.144hzmonitors.com/knowledge-base/ips-glow-backlight-bleed-and-dead-pixels-explained/

Also, what exposure is your camera set too, and does this only appear on camera?

mangaman

Honorable
Ya, that does not look normal for an IPS monitor. IPS monitors do have something called "back-light bleeding" but it is not this severe. I would look into returning it to the store and getting a new one, or RMA it if you've bought it online.

Sanetokane

Commendable
Dec 7, 2016

After looking into it a little further, I discovered something called "IPS glow". Are you sure it's not just that, as apparently it's often confused with back light bleeding?

I'd like further insight from other IPS monitor owners as to whether or not this is normal, before sending the monitor back.

*EDIT*

After even further research I've noticed that it doesn't really look like any of the IPS glow pictures (pic for reference). Now I'd like to know if it's severe enough to warrant a replacement
wt5cL1K.jpg

mangaman

Honorable
IPS glow is normal for these types of monitors, but with the pictures that you have provided, it looks really severe. I too have an IPS monitor (Acer H6 Series H236HLbid), but the IPS glow is very minimal. IPS glow is dependent from angles and distance, were as back-light bleed is independent from angles/distance. Its quite hard to understand and explain the two, but this site covers everything about the two. http://www.144hzmonitors.com/knowledge-base/ips-glow-backlight-bleed-and-dead-pixels-explained/

Also, what exposure is your camera set too, and does this only appear on camera?

Solution