Grounding issue: monitor(s) lose signal if I touch a nut on the stand with metal

Franksta87

Commendable
Dec 7, 2016
Hello folks,

I'm using the EZM Deluxe Triple Monitor Mount Stand and have two Asus PG278Q monitors (TN) and one Asus PG279Q (IPS) mounted on it.

I found this week when I set everything up that when I go to wrench or make some other adjustment with a tool on the metal parts behind the two side monitors, it will occasionally cause one or both of them to lose signal until I stop touching the metal part to it.

Any idea what I need to do to eliminate what seems to be some sort of grounding issue? I am working on cable management and just ordered longer cables as right now some of them hug the monitors a bit, not sure if that's able to play any role into it. I also have two small logitech speakers that sit below the monitors, wonder if they could be introducing anything?

I just want to say thank you very much for the help in advance. Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving

Solution
The same thing is true about the mounting screws on the back of the monitor. Use only 2 screws instead of 4 and swap them around when trying to eliminate problems.

Franksta87

Commendable
Dec 7, 2016
For the record, I have tried doing better cable management in my case. Still no luck. I am considering switching to a full wall mount setup A) for the ease in adjusting the monitors over the current setup and B) to see if that somehow eliminates my grounding issue

Dr Girlfriend

Reputable
Sep 12, 2015
Shot in the dark, but have you tried removing all but one, check to see if it still happens? If it does, swap it out for one of the others and check again? Could be the mounting screw is touching something internally in one of the monitors.

When you have a weird problem like this it's best to remove as many variables as possible, then add them in until you find a probable cause.