After windows 10 11/11/16 updates my computer crashes.

ailvar

Commendable
Dec 7, 2016
So like the title says after updating on 11/11 My computer sporadically blue screens with "Critical Process Died". Since it did not happen before I am assuming it has to do with the update but it could just be coincidental. Now it crashes in a very specific way, first the audio gets robotic or comptelely cuts out, then all my usb ports stop working, then it crashes. I found another post that said they had a similar problem and bought a pci sound card and disabled all on board drivers and it stopped crashing. I have tried to uninstall the updates and it will not let me. I do not have a restore point before the update either. I have made sure all my drivers are up to date and have ran sfc and a memory test, both of which passed without a problem.

So any help is appreciated but I have a couple questions.

Can a bad sound driver or something else with the onboard sound cause these issues? If so I will buy a sound card.

Would the "Reset this pc" option in win 10 allow me to have a fresh windows without the newest updates?

My Pc:
MSI 970 Gaming MOBO
amd fx8350
gigabyte 1060 6g

Solution
you could have also updated the motherboard sound driver from the motherboard website, then boot into bios and either update the bios or toggle any setting to force the BIOS to rescan the hardware and rebuild the database that it send to windows plug and play.
Sound devices tend to have conflict in the direct memory access channels they use. IE you motherboard sound driver might grab data that was intended for your graphic card sound support. The end result is corrupted driver data and a system crash often with strange sounds playing on a speaker. Sometimes you don't hear anything if the device does not have a speaker plugged into it. for example a gpu plugged in by a hdmi cable to a monitor that has no speaker...
Hello ailvar

I was wondering if you already scanned your PC for any harmful viruses and malwares? Sometimes they make the computer act weirdly.

If that doesn't work, try removing the latest update after which your computer started crashing.

About your questions:

Yes, bad sound driver or something else with the on-board sound may cause these issues. But I would suggest that before going for any hardware changes, you should try removing the latest update and see if that helps.

Yes, resetting the PC will remove the updates, your personal files, and any third-party apps that you may have installed, and take your Windows back to its default settings. However, you can choose to keep all your personal files. You can find the detailed information about resetting Windows 10 here

Feel free to report back if further assistance is needed.

Cheers!! :)

you could have also updated the motherboard sound driver from the motherboard website, then boot into bios and either update the bios or toggle any setting to force the BIOS to rescan the hardware and rebuild the database that it send to windows plug and play.
Sound devices tend to have conflict in the direct memory access channels they use. IE you motherboard sound driver might grab data that was intended for your graphic card sound support. The end result is corrupted driver data and a system crash often with strange sounds playing on a speaker. Sometimes you don't hear anything if the device does not have a speaker plugged into it. for example a gpu plugged in by a hdmi cable to a monitor that has no speaker.

quotemsg=19068041,0,2376531]I ended up buying a sound card and disabling all on board drivers and the crashes have stopped. [/quotemsg]

Solution