What happened to quality in computer components? Can't find a monitor that doesn't have many negative reviews

ultrarunner100

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011
Hello;
I am looking for a good, general purpose / mid gaming 24", min 1920 x 1080 monitor.
This will be my 2nd monitor on a dual setup. My current primary is Samsung 2494HS (5ms response).
I am also looking for a monitor that displays clean, clear text so it is easy on the eyes. I am also a coder, so that is important to me as well.
I want to spend not more than about $250.
System specs: Gigabyte/NVidia GeForce 750 Ti 2Gib video.
MSI P67A Intel i5 2500 @ 3.3Ghz, 16GiB 1600 DDR3

Most demanding game is N3V "TANE SP1" Train Simulator.

Since this monitor will be sitting to the right of my current monitor (which I will keep as the main display directly in front of me), I think I want IPS technology.

I have been "shopping" on Amazon.com, and have become dismayed at all the negative reviews for most monitors. It appears that quality control has gone out the window, and that you are taking chances with whatever brand/model you choose. Dead pixels (or worse, lines of pixels) after only 6 months of less, DOA units, flimsy construction, and poor customer service just to name a few.
While I don't take reviews on Amazon or anywhere else as gospel, I don't like seeing a hundred or more very negative reviews on a product, especially when many of the reviews point out the same problem.

I have had very good luck with my Samsung 2494HS, but this monitor isn't being manufactured any longer, and being that I will be viewing the 2nd monitor from an angle, that is not exactly 90 degrees, I am hesitant to go with TN technology.

I have a very old Eizo 15" as my 2nd monitor right now, but it is too small, and also has issues with angle of view.

Can anyone steer me in the right direction?
Thanks
FW