Are Monitor Adapters good for PC Gaming?

DaylenTriviQ

Honorable
Aug 14, 2016
Hey there, I am going to make this short and sweet (Since I really need an answer fast), are monitor adapters good for PC Gaming? I need a VGA to DVI-D/I. I know, outdated, but it's what I have.

Will using an adapter lower my framerate/resolution? And if so, should I be worried! I need an answer quick, so please help!

Thanks!

-Daylen Boen

Solution
You will see no difference in quality.

Your video card deals in digital signals.
The old CRT VGA monitors required analog signals just as the old CRT TVs did. These signals were directly used to drive the "color guns" on the CRT.

So video cards have (or had) to convert these digital data to analog before sending them to the CRT monitor through the VGA connector. This is what the RAMDACS (or just DACS, for short) on your video card are for.
The DVI connector on your video card has both analog pins from the dacs and digital pins which skip the dacs.
Your DVI to VGA adapter just uses the analog pins and wires them to a 15-pin D-sub connector, AKA "VGA connector".

Now while it's TECHNICALLY true that DAC conversions are prone to error...

Jared_31

Commendable
Nov 22, 2016
You will see no difference in quality.

Your video card deals in digital signals.
The old CRT VGA monitors required analog signals just as the old CRT TVs did. These signals were directly used to drive the "color guns" on the CRT.

So video cards have (or had) to convert these digital data to analog before sending them to the CRT monitor through the VGA connector. This is what the RAMDACS (or just DACS, for short) on your video card are for.
The DVI connector on your video card has both analog pins from the dacs and digital pins which skip the dacs.
Your DVI to VGA adapter just uses the analog pins and wires them to a 15-pin D-sub connector, AKA "VGA connector".

Now while it's TECHNICALLY true that DAC conversions are prone to error, the error rate is so low and fleeting that it is just flat out impossible for the human eye to detect them when compared to pure digital.

So to reiterate, yes, you will get every bit as good quality with your adapter as you will with the raw digital.

Solution

DaylenTriviQ

Honorable
Aug 14, 2016

Wow! Thank you so much. A great, flat-out, and to-the-point answer. It seems that no GPU's these days support old VGA ports, so I was extremely worried for a loss in quality (My rig isn't very great anyways). Thanks! :D

DaylenTriviQ

Honorable
Aug 14, 2016

I've done more research, and I found out that a DVI-D port only uses digital. Would this mean that the quality would then be degraded, or does this solution apply to both DVI-I and DVI-D?