How do i use a hard drive and an SSD?

Alex Kraus11

Commendable
Dec 6, 2016
Im new to pc building and heard that ssd + hard drive is good. Can someone explain how i can use them or is there a special hard drive/ssd?

Welcome to Tom's Hardware, @Alex Kraus11!

There's nothing special really about setting up a multi-storage configuration in your new PC build. :) However, there are some things that you need to be aware of when it comes to setting it all up. Once you have all the parts and you have put together the rig, you need to have a new genuine Windows install (because a new motherboard requires a new OS) and just the SSD connected to the system. If you have both the HDD and the SSD connected while installing the OS you are bound to encounter the so-called OS confusion that scatters the system files across all the SATA devices connected. In order to avoid that, keep the secondary HDD disconnected until Windows is up and running from the SSD. It's also important that you configure the SATA mode for it in AHCI from the BIOS menu and make sure that the boot priority options are properly set up.

I believe this detailed tutorial about Windows Install & Optimization for SSDs & HDDs can shed some more light on the step-by-steps.

Hope it helps you. Keep me posted if you have more questions! :)
SuperSoph_WD

The reason people pick both an SSD and a standard platter drive is to have the larger cheaper drive for application and file storage. If you don't need that, then you can just get a 256 or 512 GB SSD and not bother with a standard drive for applications, but you may want to keep files on it to keep wear on the SSD lower. Remember you also need a backup drive for your files. So install the programs on the SSD, and movies, photos, etc... on the standard drive, with a second backup drive also, maybe an external.

Jeff Kaos

Distinguished
Some basics when installing a new drive that will have your OS on it: once you have the drive installed in the case you'll most likely want to connect the SATA cord to the SATA 0 port on the motherboard. It's hard to see on some boards but if you look closely you'll see the SATA numbers written on the board in small letters. Some newer boards, like the ASUS Z170 I just used, have the word "System" clearly labeled on the SATA port you want to use for your system drive. Using the SATA 0 port isn't a hard rule but it's pretty common.

Second thing when connecting your secondary, non OS, drive make sure that it's either reformatted and completely empty or that it doesn't contain any old Windows/OS files on it. This can cause a lot of headaches when you connect it to your system. But if you're using a new HDD it's just a matter of installing it, connecting it to a SATA port (probably SATA 1 or SATA 2) and connecting power to it. Once you do that you're all set.

Keep in mind that almost all software defaults to the "C" drive for installation and that this drive is almost always the same drive you're OS is on. So if you're using a a smaller SSD for your OS you can quickly run out of space. While it's fairly simple to install programs to a path of your choosing also keep in mind that if you direct a program to install to your storage drive it's just going to put it in the drive without creating a "home folder" For example I just installed Battle.Net on my new system and used it to install Diablo 3. Since I didn't want to have a separate Diablo 3 file sitting in my storage drive I created a "Battle.Net" folder and created an install path to that folder and will use it for any other Battle.net games I install. When using multiple drives you need to be a little more conscious about file management.

And one last thing: if you're using windows 10 and download any apps from the Windows 10 store AND you want them on your storage drive rather than your SSD you have to go in and change the setting on the Windows 10 store because it doesn't ask you what path you'd like to use for installation; it just goes directly to your C drive. I learned that the hard way when I had to re-download and reinstall Forza Horizon 3 because it took up almost a 1/4 of my SSD.