Cant Locate HDD when saving files, but it is connected according to device manager.

hartzsquare

Honorable
Sep 28, 2013
Hey guys, I have just finished building my second gaming PC. Everything is working perfectly, when I installed windows I selected my SSD to install the OS on instead of my HDD (which was on the list). However now I am using my computer, it is unable to locate the HDD when I attempt to save files or install games. It is however in the device manager list: ST2000DM001-ER164. Not quite sure what has happened, as this did not happen last time I installed my hdd/ssd. Thanks for any help in advance.

Solution
Hey there, @hartzsquare!

I'd strongly recommend you go to Disk Management in Windows and check how the secondary HDD is listed there. It would be really helpful if you post a screenshot from there as well. (e.g. via Imgur)
If you haven't used this particular HDD before, you might need to Initialize it and then Partition & Format it in order be able to access it via This PC/My Computer. Keep in mind that these procedures will wipe the entire HDD, so make sure you don't have any important files onto it that are not backed up beforehand.
If the issue is still present, I'd suggest you swap the SATA cable and the SATA port where the secondary drive is connected to the motherboard. Reseating the Molex...
Hey there, @hartzsquare!

I'd strongly recommend you go to Disk Management in Windows and check how the secondary HDD is listed there. It would be really helpful if you post a screenshot from there as well. (e.g. via Imgur)
If you haven't used this particular HDD before, you might need to Initialize it and then Partition & Format it in order be able to access it via This PC/My Computer. Keep in mind that these procedures will wipe the entire HDD, so make sure you don't have any important files onto it that are not backed up beforehand.
If the issue is still present, I'd suggest you swap the SATA cable and the SATA port where the secondary drive is connected to the motherboard. Reseating the Molex cable (to the PSU) might also be a good idea.

Keep me posted with the troubleshooting.
SuperSoph_WD

Solution

TRENDING THREADS