adding old hard drive as second drive to new computer

billydavis

Commendable
Oct 15, 2016
so Ive ordered the new budget computer if I choose not to try and swap drives to old win 7 drive? My question is if I add the old drive as second drive can I access old browser and programs from the second drive?, will my programs be accessible and run? I ask this because Im afraid I might not be able to install and activate on new drive so I'd rather try this.

Hey there, @billydavis!

Unfortunately, you won't be able to load old software from a different system to your new rig. Moreover, the fact that this Win 7 OS belongs to a different PC won't allow you to boot into the new one. You need a new genuine Windows installation/activation because the operating system is tied to the motherboard of the computer, whereas the hard drive is just a carrier for the system files. You shouldn't face any issues with a brand new installation on the new computer, but I'm afraid you won't be able to use the old one.

However, you can still back up the data from that drive somewhere off-site (to an external HDD, cloud storage, etc.) and then plug it as a secondary HDD in the new system and use it as a data drive for your files. Yet again, this will still require you to re-format and wipe the HDD clean before you can use it like that. The backup is essential before the upgrade, otherwise you will most probably lose all the personal files on the HDD from the old PC!

Let me know if you have other questions. Hope this helps you, though.
SuperSoph_WD

billydavis

Commendable
Oct 15, 2016

billydavis

Commendable
Oct 15, 2016
I really appreciate your help, Im trying to make it painless as possible because of the amount of graphic programs and personal settings on the win 7 drive, Im a little afraid of win 10 after all the things Ive read. I was told by someone else on here that I could just unplug the new win 10 drive before first boot and plug the old win 7 drive and it would "detect" and "adjust registry" to "work" with the new computer without any alteration or loss to my programs and settings?, your saying this isnt true? your saying it work and I will also lose data and programs?