Opinion needed - how bad did i get taken here

durangod

Honorable
Aug 10, 2016
Hi, i had a zotac gtx 1060 R (mini) card that would not work so i exchanged it with newegg for a gigabyte gtx 960 R card at the same price.

At the time i did not know that i had to replace my whole motherboard to upgrade. I kinda of expected to make some mistakes in the process i guess being my first time doing this process.

i just looked up a basic comparison and found that the 960 compared to my old hd7670 is like a 75 to 90 % improvment so im happy with that part.

but when doing a comparison 960 to 1060 im not so happy, seems that in some areas the 1060 does much better. Although im happy to have 4GB memory on the card i have now and i dont expect to run really high resolution that the 1060 does it looks like they are pretty similar for my usage. I do plan on running it in a MSI z170A M5 so it should work fine.

here is the comparison i set up..

http://www.gigabyte.us/products/comparison/list.aspx?ck=3&pids=5985,5837

My question is how bad did i get taken here swapping one for the other? I mean did i get just felt up a little bit or did i get totally screwed on the deal?

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

the 1060 is basically a gtx 980 with newer tech

you downgraded quite a bit

which is why comparisons like what you did on that link are a fools errand, you need to look at fps benchmarks

durangod

Honorable
Aug 10, 2016
ok thanks so much for the info, yeah newegg got a deal on that exchange, no wonder they were so nice about doing it so quickly and didnt mind giving me credit for the shipping... :( live and learn...

durangod

Honorable
Aug 10, 2016
i feel alittle better now i guess since i watched this video about my card.. i guess its a tweeked up version of the 960 (the extreme OC version) and much better than a normal 960..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP11KfDj-yU

I cant wait to play my DOOM and my GTA5 on it, wow the game looks so much different on this card than on my old hd7670 junk card, and BF1 thats gonna be amazing....

Maybe ill actually start enjoying gaming more since i may be able to play without getting my A$$ kicked all the time lol