Complex Dual Monitor/Dual PC Setup

jonarnold85

Commendable
Dec 9, 2016
I did some searching and to be honest I'm sure if I were able to properly combine several threads I could come up with the correct answer but so far I haven't been able to figure this out. Here's my dilemma:

I'm about to move to a dual monitor setup. I will be using a 27" monitor connected by DVI as my primary and a 30" monitor connected through HDMI (It's DVI only so I'll be using a DVI to HDMI adapter). I shouldn't have any trouble setting up the dual monitors. However, I have a work laptop that I would like to be able to utilize this setup with as well, without having to swap cables all the time. I'd also like to use one keyboard and mouse (both USB) for both systems. All that being said, here are my questions:

1) I've never used a KVM switch before. Would a dual monitor KVM switch accomplish everything I need here?

2) Do I need to get a docking station for my laptop to utilize a dual monitor KVM switch?

3) I can't see how this would work, but it would be nice, so I'll ask anyways. Is there any way to have one monitor display content for the PC and the other monitor display content for the laptop? In other words, can I switch to the other system simply by moving my mouse to the other monitor? I feel like its not possible because there would be no way for each system to know when the input is intended for it or the other system.

4) If number 3 is possible, is there a way to effortlessly switch back to dual monitor for the PC?

Thanks in advance for all of your help!

Solution
That would most likely be with a KVM switch. A docking station only outputs what is going out from the laptop. We use docking stations all the time here at Dell, and it does not not have the ability to obtain another input from a computer. However, these are only Dell docking stations, there might be some from LEnovo, Asus, Acer, etc..

But if you want to use one keyboard/mouse, then a KVM switch is probably your best bet.
That would most likely be with a KVM switch. A docking station only outputs what is going out from the laptop. We use docking stations all the time here at Dell, and it does not not have the ability to obtain another input from a computer. However, these are only Dell docking stations, there might be some from LEnovo, Asus, Acer, etc..

But if you want to use one keyboard/mouse, then a KVM switch is probably your best bet.

Solution

emmjawsX

Commendable
Oct 17, 2016
For 3) you could use a separate DVI switch for each monitor and run a kb/mouse sharing program like Inputdirector or Synergy. It has the downside that the host/server computer that the kb+mouse are connected to has to be running though so if you wanted to run the laptop alone it'd need the cables swapped over.