Multiple Issues Installing Windows 10 from a USB Drive

omgwtfpaul

Commendable
Dec 9, 2016
I'm having a few issues with my Windows 10 install.

I'm using a generic 8gb USB stick to try and install Windows 10 on a new PC. The first run, the PC froze directly after clicking "Next" on the "Where do you want to install Windows?" screen.
The second run, I got past that, but froze at 3% on "Copying Files Over" (Something along those lines, step 2 if that helps)
The third run, I saw 3 different partitions of my SSD. Two were 500MB, and the third was the remainder of my SSD. I would have just pressed forward and tried to deal with those partitions later, but under the bulk of the remaining SSD storage, it gave me an error saying "Windows can't be installed on this drive." telling me i needed to enable the drive in bios. Did some tinkering back in bios but don't think I actually changed anything meaningful.. just checked to see if the SSD was showing up there (it was).
Now on this fourth run, I'm back to "Where do you want to install windows?" and the only thing I see is "Drive 0 Unallocated Space" with 0.00MB of total space.

I've decided to turn to the hive mind here, as I feel like each time I tinker, I get a step further back.

Note I have NOT updated my MoBo (or any other) drivers, as I don't have an optical drive, and from googling it seems like I need to be in the windows environment to update the drivers.

CPU: Intel 6600k
MoBo: MSI B150M Bazooka
8 GB RAM
250GB SK hynix SSD

Solution
Win10 has more drivers in its install than most versions of windows.

The only other thing it could be is that Hynix ssd.

Got a spare hdd you could try installing windows on?? At least you'll know if it installs that the flash drive isn't the prob / cause
And how did you put the windows install on the flash drive?

Probably be easier to use the mediacreation tool, use something like rufus this will extract the iso you download to a flash drive. Once it finishes, boot from the flash drive. Change the bootdisk in the BIOS to it

Get to the setup screen / delete all partitions on the hdd, then reinstall. Game over

omgwtfpaul

Commendable
Dec 9, 2016

I used the media creation tool from windows, told it to put Win10 on the USB drive. So you're suggesting download the ISO and use another program to put it on the USB?

That should work then. Try again. Change the bootdisk to the flash drive in the BIOS save settings.

Boot from flash drive. When you get to the setup screen. Select each partition then delete them. Then click on next so Windows installs

If the mobo supports UEFI enable it before you install Windows. And enable AHCI as well

omgwtfpaul

Commendable
Dec 9, 2016

The problem with the last time I did it is I saw none of the partitions. I'll give it another go though. Might have just been a fluke. I'll make sure AHCI is enabled.

omgwtfpaul

Commendable
Dec 9, 2016
so I see the drive this time, but I have this error message:

"Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks."

omgwtfpaul

Commendable
Dec 9, 2016
Update: I got an error saying "Windows cannot install the required files. The file does not exist." yaddy yaddy yadda, error code: 0x80070002.

Currently downloading the windows 10 ISO, and i'll get it on the jumpdrive via Rufus. I'll report back.

omgwtfpaul

Commendable
Dec 9, 2016
well that's good news at least. I'll keep scouring forums. really doubt its a hardware issue.... unless its just the flash drives being butt. i might get a DVD drive hooked up and try a disc.

Win10 has more drivers in its install than most versions of windows.

The only other thing it could be is that Hynix ssd.

Got a spare hdd you could try installing windows on?? At least you'll know if it installs that the flash drive isn't the prob / cause

Solution

omgwtfpaul

Commendable
Dec 9, 2016
ah ha, well I'm getting progress on the HDD!! perhaps my SSD is just bad. already up to 8% and i just started a minute ago. nice seeing progress even if its not on the drive i wanted to use. fingers crossed the progress continues.