Help me chose the components for my editing/gaming PC

ThePino

Reputable
Aug 3, 2014
So this machine will be a christmas present for myself haha. Anyway I'm planning on getting the next:

Motherboard: X99-Deluxe II
CPU: i7-6950X
RAM: 128GB Corsair Dominator Platinum (Chrome) 3200MHz
GPU: Titan X (Pascal) 2 way SLI
PSU: AX1200i
Storage: This is tricky for me as I just want SSDs and the fastest I can get. I was thinking about getting two 2TB 960 Pros but I'm scared of those overheating as I've been reading on other threads, my other option was getting a 750 Pro but I'm not sure of how fast it will be. Could you help me decice what should I use as the booting drive and the storage drives? I need to go full way SSD as I don't want to get slower tranfer speeds than the ones in my MacBook Pro which actually gets to around 2.7 GB/s. The files I transfer normally are small less than 1.5GB but once in a while I need to move some big files which are over 30GB. But this is a bit rare I would do this once a week or less. I know that the Deluxe II Motherboard comes with two m.2 slots one gets in with a PCIe x4 adapter and the other is part of the motherboard and there's a dual u.2 slot too. So i don't know what should I get I need at least 4TB for storage and the boot drive needs to be at least 800GB. So if you have some recomendations. I'm pretty scared of the temps though.
Oh and BTW could you explain me what are IOPS I don't get it. I know that some SSDs with the same sequential read speeds can be faster for simple taks like booting but slower at transfering files so I need help with that.

For cooling I will not build a custom loop as I really don't have the time and experience for maintenace so I wont be able to clean it and I'm scared of actually building one. So I will go with three Kraken X62 280mm radiators.

Case: The only case I know that will fit three 280mm radiators and that looks good is the Corsair Air 740. But that will leave me with only one 140mm fan left. Does the air that goes through the radiator will be able to cool the insides too?

Monitors: Dual LG Ultrafine 5K any other monitors you would recommend?

I'm a bit lost here as this will be my first PC build I've always worked on laptops but I'm getting involved in a huge project so I need to invest as much as I can and I want it to pair my MacBook Pro experience which is indeed incredible. I know this build is 300 times more powerful than my
previewmacbook pro but I want the experience to be the same. I do gaming too and music production so that's why I need the most powerful components.

Thank you so much for your help.

First build and 2 Titan X Pascal? you're a lucky men.

About the storage, why not an pci-e ssd like the Intel 750? (i was shocked when i saw a water block for it in EK, holy sh*t awesome, lovely to add to a custom loop!)

nvincent_08

Reputable
if you are not using it for really heavy editing, i recommend to use lower spec cpu like i7-6800k/6850k/6900k for mid level editing, and i7-6700k/7700k(if you want newer kaby lake). and i recommend the ram only 32gb(probably more than enough for heavy editing/enough). for sure nowadays game is already good at 4 cores, probably if you use it for editing also then you could get probably 6 core cpu an i7-6800k(6850k if you want slightly higher clock but i dont recommend it bcs it is not worth it) or i7-6900k with 8 cores. however xeon is the best for editing as they have many core, but not for gaming. and for storage if you want 960 pro or intel 750 both is pretty good options, but i dont know about that kind of overheating issue, if you want to save some space on pcie, then you could get m.2 ssd, but it is slightly slower than 750. if you also want big storage but not waste a lot of money, then you could get some hdd for saving file, and if you want to ensure your data still safe at data loss, then use raid on hdd but not at ssd as it is not worth it. so the point is to use is ssd for boot drive, and data storage at hdd with huge capacity and RAID(use at least a pair of same type of hdd)if you want to ensure your data safe. with for graphic card, i dont think you need dual titan xp, as 1 titan xp is already op for both gaming and editing. wth would you do with 3 liquid cooler lol, it wont fit lmao, you only need 1 for your cpu. for monitor i could recommend you 1/2(your choice) ultrawide screen, you could fit many thing on a screen but they cost a lot or multi monitor that could fit less thing each, but better if you like multi task or separated things, however monitor is depending on your own need. i hear lg ultrafine 5k have some kind of problem with wireless router if you put it near.