HDMI not working on new monitors

yic17

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011
Hi.

I used to connect my laptop to a Sony 32" TV through HDMI without a problem. Now I got a new setup with a 24" Acer monitor & a 43" LG TV. I tried connecting my laptop to both of them using HDMI but they both show no signal. However, the monitor works if I connect using VGA.

I wonder if my laptop has registered to my old 32" TV so it won't recognize the new monitor & TV? How do I go about making it forget my old TV? Or is the problem something else entirely?

Please help.

yic17

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011

They are both 1080p and I have tried different HDMI cables already with no luck.

I don't think my HDMI port can suddenly be dead? Since it was working just fine on my old TV. Though I no longer have that TV now so I am unable to test it.

Ports can die if the plug gets yanked sideways or something. But there's usually some signs it happened. Could you try connecting the monitor with the VGA and the TV with the HDMI? Make sure they're all powered on, then go into Screen Resolution and press the Detect button?

yic17

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011

It shows "Another display not detected".

yic17

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011

OK so with the VGA connected to my 24" monitor I get 2 "Generic PnP Monitor". After disconnecting the VGA, I get one "Generic PnP Monitor" left which I guess is my laptop monitor. So no extra monitor is shown there I suppose.

This may be a bit odd, but something you can try is to connect the VGA and the HDMI to the monitor at the same time. Then use the monitor controls to change the source from VGA to HDMI to see if you get a signal or not. The reason this may work has to do with how Windows installs (or doesn't) drivers to run external displays.

yic17

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011

Nope. Only VGA works. HDMI shows no signal. Maybe my HDMI port really is dead.

And while I can use the monitor using VGA, I will need HDMI in order to use its 3D function. The monitor also comes with a DVI connection but my laptop/graphic card does not have one. So maybe I'll have to wait until I get a new PC in order to use this monitor's 3D function. =\

yic17

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011

Yeah lemme try different drivers maybe that'll do it.

Thanks for the help. =)