Built computer, cannot install windows 10 from USB drive

roflconlol

Commendable
Dec 9, 2016
This was the first PC I have ever put together. I don't have an optical drive so I've been trying to install Windows 10 from a USB drive. I've tried an ISO downloaded from the Windows website, I tried creating an ISO using Window's Media Creation Tool, and I've even downloaded a Windows 10 ISO from a forum. To put the ISO on the USB drive I've tried using Rufus, Windows 7 USB Download Tool, and manually creating a Bootable UEFI USB Flash Drive using command prompt.

No matter what I do the first screen I'm brought to is this loading screen. Then the screen goes black after a couple minutes or it just gets stuck on this screen forever. I've tried a USB 3.0 flash drive, a 2.0 flash drive, and I've tried inserting into every USB port on the computer for hours.

My anxiety is through the roof now because I've spent $500 on a system I can't use.

genthug

Honorable
Why are you trying to use any external programs? It should be a simple download from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/
And then you simply run the .exe and follow instructions.

roflconlol

Commendable
Dec 9, 2016

The PC I'm trying to install Windows 10 on currently has no OS at all. So I have to install windows from a USB drive (I don't have an optical drive).

genthug

Honorable
I understand that. The media creation tool on microsofts site that I posted, if you go through the steps, has an option to either create a bootable USB drive or to create an ISO that needs to be burned to a disk. Which is why I'm confused why you're attempting to jump through hoops to get a bootable USB when MS's own media creation tool has that option already for you.

If you download the media creation tool (Download Tool Now): You'll want to--Run the .exe->Let it do it's thing for a minute, accept the necessary I accept stuff->Create Installation Media for Another PC->Select the settings for the Windows 10 key you purchased->Choose a USB flash drive as the media you wish to use->Choose the USB flash drive you would wish to use that is currently plugged into the machine you're downloading this from

roflconlol

Commendable
Dec 9, 2016

Oh, I forgot to mention when I use the Media Creation Tool it won't recognize USB flash drives. The notebook I'm using right now recognizes the USB drives fine but the Media Creation program won't recognize them for some reason. I tired using 3 different flash drives with no luck.

roflconlol

Commendable
Dec 9, 2016

I tried my neighbor's PC and flash drive and the Media Creation program couldn't find their usb drive

roflconlol

Commendable
Dec 9, 2016

I finally got the Windows 10 installer to start up, but then I ran into another problem. I think the problem might stem from something I did as soon as I built the PC. Bear with me.

I took the computer apart and put it back together with no luck. Then I tried uplugging the HDD and the Windows 10 Installer finally loaded from my flash drive. If the HDD is unplugged from the motherboard the moment (or before) the Windows Installer starts, then the program will load all the way up. Then I am free to reconnect the HDD without the program crashing.

In the program I clicked "Install Now" --> Skipped entering the product key -->chose to Install Windows 10 Pro Version--> clicked "Custom: Install Windows Only". I plugged the HDD back into the motherboard but then I get this screen saying that no drive can be found. In fact, it doesn't matter if I reconnect the HDD the instant the program loads up or right before I click for the installation to begin, I still get this message.

Picture 1 here
bGOsyfy.jpg

I read online that a solution is to load the motherboard's sata driver from Windows Installer program. I went to my motherboard's website, downloaded the Sata Floppy Image, and put it on a separate USB. In the Windows Installer I clicked "Load Driver" and opened the x64 version of the sata drivers. The program auto selected this driver, even though there about 7 more drivers on the file.

Picture 2 here

H94mdLe.jpg

No matter if I install just this one driver it auto selected or all the drivers that came with the Floppy file, I still get the same "We couldn't find any drives" message.

Then I noticed when I click "Load Drivers", my HDD actually does show up shown as "Boot (X: )". Not only that, I think the HDD already has some Windows files on it

Picture 3 here
DPrMxyB.jpg

Then I remembered something relevant. Before I posted any of this I originally tried to install Windows 7 from a USB drive. The Windows 7 Installation program loaded with no problem, it found my HDD with no problem, but the program got stuck on the very first step which was "Copying Windows Files (0%)...". It was stuck on 0% for 30 minutes so I turned the computer off thinking the program had failed and nothing was written to the HDD. I then tried to install Windows 10 and that's when all of the problems start happening.

Could all of these problems be caused by the HDD already having some Windows files on it? What do I do now?

(The motherbaord is ASRock H110M-HDS with all Bios set to default and the HDD is Western Digital 1TB if that is helps)

genthug

Honorable
Sorry for the late reply. Regardless if there are windows files on it, you should still be able to see it in your windows 10 boot. But, the fact that you can even see the drive is a good thing. If it was crashing and you couldn't see the drive... You'd end up needing a new one most likely.

If you boot into the USB Windows 10, or if you use a bootable USB of linux, then you can reformat the drive. If you're doing it through the Windows 10 installer, you'll have to go through CMD.