BSOD when using m.2 SSD as boot device

DMRobinson227

Commendable
Dec 10, 2016
I've been having this issue for quite a while now. I install Windows 10 on my m.2 SSD, and after about 2 hours or so, I get a BSOD - Critical_Process_Error. I've been on forums, contacted Dell (they replaced the MOBO, RAM, and m.2), I've installed and reinstalled multiple times (in Legacy mode and UEFI mode), but I keep getting the same issue. I even took the battery out and ran on the adapter, changed the RAM again, ran a memtest, and even bought another new m.2. I'm sure it's a Windows problem because I installed Windows on a regular SATA SSD and it ran for days without issue. So if I could get some other brains out there to take a look at this I think it would be a huge help.

DMRobinson227

Commendable
Dec 10, 2016

Thank you for the reply. I installed WhoCrashed but Windows isn't making any mini dump files, so there isn't any thing to analyze.

"Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

No valid crash dumps have been found on your computer"

And yes, I do have the latest BIOS as well as Chipset drivers.

Colif

Win 11 Master
that was unexpected, i thought Critical process died would create a dump file (I assume that is error you got)

Where did you get the win 10 installer?

right click start button
choose command prompt (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its finished, copy/paste this command into same window:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

SFC cleans system files. DISM cleans the files SAFC uses to clean windows, so if SFC had problems before, run it again.

try a clean boot and see if its one of your start up problems to blame: https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/kb/929135

DMRobinson227

Commendable
Dec 10, 2016

Hey Colif,
I thought we had it. My machine was going strong for 4 hours and 15 minutes. (new record)
The scans finished successfully, and the sfc scan didn't find any errors in the system. The first time I rebooted, my machine was up for about an hour until the BSOD. The second time, it was up for about 4 hours and 15 minutes.
But the funny thing is, both times I got the BSOD I was trying to reply to you on this thread via Chrome. The first time, I finished writing and when I would click "Answer" Chrome would just exit with no warning. This happened 4 times, then I was hit with the BSOD. The second time, Windows Explorer froze, then the BSOD.
Now I've uninstalled Chrome and I'm replying to you in Firefox. If it worked you'll see this post.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Try running who crashed after the crashes or even now, as it should have some record of the bsod

have you checked the dell web site for new drivers, it could be your lan drivers given you kept crashing using Chrome. Check all the drivers available against what you have installed in device manager.

Did you try the clean boot?