connect ps4 to minitor using hdmi to dvi cable-NO DISPLAY

hira__

Reputable
Sep 18, 2015
Hi, I need some help please.

so I purchased a ps4 slim and need to connect it to my monitor (IBM ThinkVision L170p monitor) which has vga and dvi connections. http://www.lenovo.com/tw/zh/support/think/section3/download/l170p-eng.pdf <----the user manual for the monitor, maybe you can figure it out using this. i tried but cant understand properly.

I googled some stuff and at first purchased a vga to hdmi cable. That didn't work with an error message of no cable connected or something like that (basically showing no type of connection whatsoever). so I read online some more, and it said that instead of bothering with vga connections and trying to figure out why that wont work, that a dvi to hdmi cable might be better because vga is analoge and dvi is digital, so dvi might be a better option as hdmi is also digital.

so I went ahead and purchased this dvi to hdmi cable --->> https://www.kenable.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=4189

this cable also doesn't work, however is more promising than the vga -hdmi cable as it does show some type of connection (flickering/change colour of monitor screen from black to greyish).
what happened when I connected the hdmi to dvi cable is that the message on the monitor said 'power saving mode' rather than no cable connected. but that's all.

I read something about resolutions and stuff but I'm not too sure. i tried changing the resolution by connecting the ps4 to my living room/family tv and have tried the lowest 480p but doesn't work.
I'm not even sure about the resolutions my monitor offers either.

basically i need help. i know its probably easier to buy a tv/monitor with hdmi connection (i know they are decent priced too) but i simply cannot afford it even if its cheap. i used all my savings on a ps4 hoping it would work with a monitor.

i also saw this video as a solution on another post with similar problem. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQfpirhnIBE but when i do the safe mode (power on with 2 beeps) theres no dislay on the monitor. some peoples display works only with safe mode so i guess this video could work for them. but it doesn't for me :(

please, any help would be appreciated. also i don't care about sound, just display. as i could plug my earphones into the dualshock controller.

thanks!

hira__

Reputable
Sep 18, 2015

oh yeah I forgot to mention I also tried the method to disable HDCP but it didn't work....besides I read somewhere that monitors that have digital connectors such as hdmi and dvi are HDCP compatible (so my monitor might be, but theres no mention of it in the user manual so its probably not). but yeah I tried to disable HDCP anyway. no luck tho

but you mentioned that this was an IBM monitor and since IBM hasn't made any consumer computer products in years i am guessing that is a really old monitor. if this is the case there is no way that monitor would support HDCP. and its possible that PS4 will not work with that monitor at all.

hira__

Reputable
Sep 18, 2015

Oh yeah that might be the case. I was hoping not tho. I just assumed that because there was a dvi connection that it might work with the PS4. I'm going to try it again tomorrow after resetting monitor settings and having another little fumble around to see if I can do it. Otherwise imma just have to save up and hopefully get another TV / monitor with a hdmi connection.
But it's such a bummer, I really wanted this to work :(