I don't want to OC, but I love high-end z170 mobos, will it be a waste

Fortevn

Commendable
Dec 10, 2016
As the title said, I don't really wanna go to the OC route simply because I don't feel like it. I know it's great and maximize my rig and all, but yeah, just wanna plug and play.

So I have my mind pretty fixed on the i7-6700, and as far as I know, anything from B150 to H170 or entry level z170 such as Gigabyte Z170-D3H is more than enough.

But... I absolutely love the big z170 mobos (Asus Hero, Gigabyte Gaming 7 and Msi Gaming M7). They are so very beautiful with the armor and everything. Not to mention the new z270. I mean, holy moly the Asus tuf mark z270...

Thing is, it looks like a big waste if I don't OC at all on those mobos, I really don't know. I'm gonna get the next big GPU like Vega or 1080 Ti, I don't know if B150 chipset can work those to the max and of course new GPUs in the future.

Also, can a ITX cooler fit on an ATX mobo? Since non-OC can be fine with everything ("stock cooler is enough") I want to have a Top-down cooler such as Phanteks TC12LS, but it is an ITX cooler.

Thank you very much

There are those that eat what they enjoy and those that enjoy what they eat. For the latter the presentation is as important as the consumption. The mouth-feel. The savory(umami mommy), the salty, the tangy. The spicy. Every note sings so beautiful. Together they form a symphony unique to those flavor combinations. A singular flavor can be so multifaceted or it can be simple and calming.

Off on a tangent was I. The same rings true for a PC. You are the one that needs to see it every day. There are benefits to a Z170 boar in addition to its overclocking abilities. Their passive coolers are usually beefier. Their chokes and vrms are normally of higher quality. The power? They usually have more features as well. Some will have dual BIOS.The list is frigging huge and it's up to you what you want to install. Should the day some that you DO want to or NEED to overclock your board will be happy to assist you.

There are still people using the 2500K I5 from 2011. Their significant overclock can make a big difference in their PC's performance. There are some other processors that are simply a BAD choice should someone being looking that far back for a CPU solution.

It would be a bit of a waste if you bought it on its sexy looks alone. Looking up her dress is necessary.

Yes to the ITX. As long as that ITX cooler is compatible with your desired socket type. The key characteristic is one of height to allow for an ITX case. Sometimes the RAM modules can be an issue. Just research your parts and when necessary ask more question. Call a manufacturer or 4.

oczdude8

Distinguished
You get what YOU want. simple as that.

Don't listen to people saying it will be a "waste" because you are not going to use every single feature of it. Its only a "waste" if you are not happy with what you bought.

Plus, who knows, you may end up overclocking or using those "wasted" features down the road. Also, those high-end boards usually have better components which means they last longer and are more reliable. I am still using a relatively high-end board I bought ~8years ago with a gtx 1080 with no problems.

Fortevn

Commendable
Dec 10, 2016

That's deep, thank you.