Is Putting my computer to sleep bad??

London Smith

Honorable
Aug 31, 2013
I have, within the past few months, received many Memory Management and Corrupted Page errors. In trying to determine the cause, I've always seen a few people suggest that it might be because I put my computer to sleep sometimes rather than shutting down and not all components of my computer "wake up", causing errors. Is this realistically what could be causing the problem? If so, is hibernating a better option, or would that likely yield similar results?

Thanks for your help.

Solution
putting your system to sleep can expose bugs in storage drivers that will lead to the error you are getting. generally, to fix the problem you would go to your motherboard vendors website, then update the BIOS, update the various chipset drivers for your motherboard and see if the problem is resolved.
(you want to make sure you update the USB and SATA drivers for your machine when you update the BIOS)

generally the above will fix the problem. Old systems might not have updates (hardware before 2010), some systems with old solid state drives would require a firmware update to the SSD. Most of the time the problem is just fixed in a BIOS version that was released after you acquired your machine.
Or it was a bug in one of the custom...

I get this too when I put my laptop to sleep from time to time. Something was open or executing something and the sleep interrupted it. Nothing to worry about but shutting down your pc is the preferred option.

London Smith

Honorable
Aug 31, 2013

Yeah, I try to shut it down every other night, and sleep it in between. I think I'll just turn off the display instead.

Why don't you just shut it down? Leaving it on is just wasting power.

London Smith

Honorable
Aug 31, 2013

I guess I've always been under the impression (I think I heard someone say it) that it's harder on your computer to shut it down all the time? Maybe that's melarkey. If you think that's better then I trust your judgment

That thing about shutting down your pc is sorry for my language bs. Turned of things aren't used so they won't wear out.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Fun fact: win 10 doesn't turn off when you shut it down, it goes into hibernate instead. So you not saving anything at all. Unless you turn off Fast Startup, the only time your PC is actually off is during a restart.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-fast-startup-turn-off-windows-10-a.html

I don't use sleep, i just set PC to never turn off in power options, and have screen set to turn off after 30 minutes. If I going away from PC for a long time, i just turn it off.

putting your system to sleep can expose bugs in storage drivers that will lead to the error you are getting. generally, to fix the problem you would go to your motherboard vendors website, then update the BIOS, update the various chipset drivers for your motherboard and see if the problem is resolved.
(you want to make sure you update the USB and SATA drivers for your machine when you update the BIOS)

generally the above will fix the problem. Old systems might not have updates (hardware before 2010), some systems with old solid state drives would require a firmware update to the SSD. Most of the time the problem is just fixed in a BIOS version that was released after you acquired your machine.
Or it was a bug in one of the custom drivers provided by the motherboard vendor and you just need to update the driver.
It will not be a windows code problem if you are getting windows updates.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS