I need to change my nvidia graphics card to my default

Audsam

Commendable
Nov 26, 2016
Hi,

I need help changing my nvidia graphics card to my default. Currently my computer is registering my default graphics card as intel HD instead of my Nvidia 1050ti. Whenever I right-click desktop and go to nvidia control panel, it will not open, the message "nvidia display settings are not available. you are not currently using a display attached to an NVIDIA GPU." I am hoping someone could help me as to what is the problem here. ATM I am using a VGA display cable and wondering if this may have anything to do with it as a friend said that my Nvidia gpu may be linked through the DVI display port.

Thanks in advance :)

DesHis

Commendable
Oct 30, 2016

you need to plug the VGA cable into the GPU, not the motherboard

Audsam

Commendable
Nov 26, 2016
I am not the most familiar with whereabouts on the computer, alls I can tell you is that there is only one VGA port.

If that port isn't on your 1050 card, then you are NOT using the 1050 at all. You need a different cable to attach it to your monitor, either a HDMI or possibly a Displayport or Mini Display port. What monitor are you using?

Audsam

Commendable
Nov 26, 2016
I believe that i am using this monitor. I am not sure of which hole leads to which card and this is why i am confused.

Again, what monitor are you using, Make and model please? Also what are your FULL system specs(Ram,MB,PSU, HDD, makes & models, Please)?

When you put the 1050 card into your computer, it would be at right angles to the motherboard, so if the VGA port is parallel to the motherboard, then it is not from the 1050 card. Also what is the make and model of your 1050 card?

Audsam

Commendable
Nov 26, 2016
http://www.ebuyer.com/612424-acer-k222hql-21-5-led-dvi-monitor-um-ww3ee-001 is my monitor

My VGA port is at the top left corner at the back of my pc going vertical however half way down my pc are 3 other ports that are at a different part of the computer and these are all horizontal, DVI, HDMI and another display port which i am unsure of. Could this be where i need to put my vga but obviously get an adapter? My card is Nvidia GeForce 1050ti

You are correct! Based on your monitor, you are going to need a DVI cable to connect the 1050 to your monitor. Once you get your monitor connected to th 1050, then you should be able to set it as the default display adapter.

Audsam

Commendable
Nov 26, 2016
So the vga cable is useless once i make the purchase of a DVI Cable, will this be the only purchase i need to make in order to access the 1050?

Once you get the DVI cable you should be good to go. I am assuming that since you old connection was the VGA cable, that you used something else for sound. That should still work.

good Luck!