What partitions to keep when doing a clean install?

frogzx

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2014
So I decided that I wanted to start over fresh and do a clean install, and I see in this guide that i'm reading that you can just delete all the partitions. Thing is, some of these look important (the recovery partition, in particular) and I really don't want to mess this up. I'm basically trying to just clear everything and reinstall W10, since the built in reset and clean drives option wouldn't work. Pretty bad when it comes to this more complex stuff, and really don't want to brick my system. The partitions listed are one System partition, one recovery, one restore, one OS, one MSR (reserve), and one other recovery named partition 5.

Solution
OK then...that "Reset" partition is the old Win 8, from the manufacturer.
Kill it off with all the others.

As far as the Smart Gesture, etc...those drivers you get from Asus.
Save them to a USB and reinstall after the Win 10 clean install.

frogzx

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2014
It came with W8, which was then upgraded to 8.1, and finally got the free upgrade to W10. And yes it's a pre-built laptop. I believe it's an Asus ROG G750, and i'm not sure if there is going to be anything i'm going to want to keep. I'd like to keep Smart Gesture and the Gforce driver updater thing, would those be deleted? I mean as long as the drives are clean and it's as good as new, I don't care about keeping pre-installed stuff. I think there might have been a virus slowing it down before, so whatever I need to delete to remove that as well (if it was even there in the first place) would be nice too.

USAFRet

Titan
OK then...that "Reset" partition is the old Win 8, from the manufacturer.
Kill it off with all the others.

As far as the Smart Gesture, etc...those drivers you get from Asus.
Save them to a USB and reinstall after the Win 10 clean install.

Solution

frogzx

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2014
Huh, looks like the messed up resets uninstalled all of those. I assume that I can just redownload them from the Asus website after the clean install? I don't think I can remember every single driver I had though..

USAFRet

Titan

For the laptop, the Asus support website should list all of them.