how do i format my hard drive but keep some files

Hey there, @Elrobertosuperio!

What is your system configuration and what exactly do you have stored on this drive that you wish to format? If it's just data and software tools, then you could simply use a cloning utility to transfer them to a secondary HDD or better yet, re-install the programs to start from scratch but make sure you backup your personal data somewhere else first, which is what @Hellfire13 most probably meant by copying the files to another drive.

Depending on the games, you might be able to clone them/transfer them to another drive but using a specific tool as copy/paste won't work with an installed software. If you experience any sort of issues with your drive, I'd advise you to run its brand-specific diagnostic tool or a third-party alternative and determine the health and SMART status of the HDD.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted with the details, though. :)
SuperSoph_WD

If this is your system hard drive, @Elrobertosuperio, you can use the Disk Clean tool in Windows to get rid of the redundant files and there are other third-party tools that can also help you clean the rig of junk files.

If course, copy/pasting your games onto another HDD won't work but as I already mentioned there are cloning tools that could help you out. However, I'd definitely consider re-installing them if you have noticed that the system is underperforming.

Good luck!
SuperSoph_WD

Exactly what i thought. Personal data.
For game installations and software installations as SuperSop_WD suggested,you can only clone, there is no other way.
Better to do fresh installation as cloning might take a lot of time.